Primary care done differently. tele-health and digitally driven health solutions
Mechanical Engineer, Product Design & Development
Forward is on a bold mission to make high quality healthcare available to a billion people across the globe. We’re building the world’s most advanced healthcare platform from the ground up, combining hardware, software and doctors under one roof. We are scaling our hardware engineering team and looking for world-class mechanical engineers with experience and expertise in designing and implementing scalable hardware solutions from concept to production. As an early member of our engineering team, you’ll have a key role in building the future of healthcare from first principles.
Forward was founded in January 2016 by former executives and engineering leaders from Google and Uber. We are funded by some of the world's best investors and entrepreneurs including Founder's Fund, Khosla Ventures, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt (Google/Alphabet Chairman), Marc Benioff (Salesforce Founder), Joe Lonsdale (Palantir Founder), Joshua Kushner (Oscar co-Founder) and Garrett Camp (Uber co-Founder).
You can read our story here or check out a quick YouTube video.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Tackle problems on the boundary of software, hardware, and the real world.
- Own the technical aspects of the entire hardware development lifecycle across Forward’s devices and platforms like body scanners, smart examination rooms, and hand-held medical devices.
- Drive industrial/mechanical design, prototyping, manufacturing, scaling, quality control and vendor management across hardware R&D initiatives.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to ensure your team delivers safe, functional, reliable, and premium hardware solutions at a high velocity.
- Anticipate and address technical challenges in your areas via thoughtful tactical execution, strategic long-term planning, and architectural decisions.
- Work with top-tier software and hardware engineering talent from places like Google X, Amazon, Nvidia, Uber, and NASA JPL.
- Travel to remote offices, test facilities, engineering partners, or manufacturing partners, as needed.
- Your work will directly contribute to saving and improving people’s lives. For real. :)
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Impact - You’re deeply mission-driven and you think there’s more to life than software that enables puppy ears to be superimposed on photos. Although we concede those are cute.
- Technical chops - You have breadth and depth of expertise in hardware engineering to lead prototype designs, sensor selection, architectural decisions, vendor identification, test plans, fabrication, safety requirements and material choices. You have a solid track record for solving complex problems from first principles and delivering quality hardware solutions in high-ambiguity environments.
- Entrepreneurship - You’re a self-starter who loves to own things end-to-end. You don’t ask for permission - you’re too busy making things happen.
- Team player - You know how to make those around you better and feed off their energy. You take care of your teammates.
- Curiosity - You like to mess around with computer vision, hardware hacking, or bioinformatics in your free time? You made your own smart mirror? Boy have we got some fun things for you…
- 5 or more years of professional experience
- You have a BS or MS in mechanical engineering or a related field.
WHY JOIN FORWARD?
The healthcare industry is broken. We refuse to just move dollars around the healthcare industry. We will rebuild it and fix it. All of it. You will be a major part of the story behind one of the most ambitious startup attempts of the past century. You will work with an expert, highly curated team who not only want to use their talents for good, but in a meaningful, scalable, and sustainable way that will yield global impact. We won’t finish until a billion people have access to the highest quality healthcare.
Forward was founded in January, 2016 by former executives and engineering leaders from Google and Uber. We are funded by some of the world's best investors and entrepreneurs including Founder's Fund, Khosla Ventures, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt (Google/Alphabet Chairman), Marc Benioff (Salesforce Founder), Joe Lonsdale (Palantir Founder), Joshua Kushner (Oscar co-Founder) and Garrett Camp (Uber co-Founder).
You can read our story here and some recent press USA Today, Forbes & TechCrunch.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We conform to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Mental health care
Health care on-site
Equity incentive plan
Maternity & paternity leave
Family medical leave
Work from home
Vacation & paid time off
Forward at a glance
Forward focuses on Healthcare, Search, Health Care Information Technology, Personal Health, and Technology. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Newport Beach, and Glendale. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.