Individual Relationships. Enterprise Scale
Senior Data Scientist
Formation provides personalization for the largest enterprise businesses in the world. We work with high-volume data streams and apply Data Science to bring individualized multi-step promotions to customers. Our Data Science Team is transforming the relationships between Fortune 500 companies and their customers.
You'll work in small teams with a common goal: create excellent data science solutions anchored in a culture of quality, customer focus, and growth.
As a Senior Data Scientist at Formation you will work in an agile environment to prioritize and test hypotheses using principles of rigorous experimental design. You understand that Data Science is an expansive area and no line of code is written until you have clearly defined the problem, methods, and definition of done. Your guidance on causal inference, machine learning techniques, and work prioritization will be sought by other team members. You will contribute to process documentation, and methodology design and review. You will create platform architecture specifications as you work with Engineering and Product Management to integrate Data Science processes into the product platform.
You understand that bugs, inadequate processes, and less than ideal code are part of building a startup. You welcome the challenge of solving these kind of problems while building a great product with the Data Science team.
You will report to the Manager of Data Science.
- Work with Solution Architects and Customer Success to determine how to best apply Formation's product to client use cases
- Explore and understand unfamiliar data-sets with tools such as Apache Spark and AWS Athena
- Determine metrics and conduct power analysis to determine the feasibility and design of experiments
- Implement processing pipelines to clean and process source data
- Present experimental methodology and results to Fortune 500 clients
- Work with Engineering and Product to standardize and integrate DS workflows into Formation's product
- Provide mentorship and prioritization of DS work to junior Data Scientists
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Data Scientist, or 3 years experience as a Data Scientist at a startup
- Proficient with the Python scientific ecosystem, Apache Spark, and SQL
- Have foundational software engineering skills such as bash scripting, version control, and continuous integration
- Have worked with job schedulers such as Apache Airflow
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis of results
- Understand common concepts related to e-commerce, e.g. lifetime value, net incremental revenue, and churn
- Machine learning proficiency with a focus on recommender systems and supervised learning techniques
- Experience with optimization techniques such as constrained linear optimization and contextual bandits
- Experience in customer onboarding and long-term customer engagement
- Experience participating in talent screening and interviewing
Formation distills complex customer data into uniquely tailored experiences; we orchestrate physical and digital exchanges into one seamless journey. Our business is building lasting, trusted relationships between people and brands—and making it look easy.
We're already reaching millions of people a day, and we're just getting started. Our founding leadership is equal parts business, design, and engineering—because we believe differing perspectives + passionate discourse achieve the greatest outcomes. We give our whole selves. We love learning new things.
Formation is committed to inclusion and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. You will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
If you're up for the challenge of a lifetime, we're looking for outstanding talent to join our team.
Among our many benefits:
- 100% medical, dental, and vision
- Discretionary PTO policy in addition to 11 paid holidays per year
- Commuter Benefits
Medical, Dental, and Vision with plans that start the first day of employment and include partner coverage.
Work-from-home-Wednesdays and flexible remote environment.
No set minimum or maximum amount of vacation time. Managers work with employees to plan PTO.
Food and snacks
Stocked fridge and pantry. Lunch catered to the office 2-3 time per week.
Food and snacks
Our kitchen and fridge are always well stocked, and we enjoy weekly catered lunches.
Zeel Massages, Heal, Health Advocate, One Medical, Color Genomics, Wellness Reimbursement, and Life Assistance Program
Pre-tax commuter benefits
We assist you with getting to and from work, including pre-tax transit benefits or a pre-tax parking benefits.
Pet-Friendly Office and PetPlan
Commuter Benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (LPFSA), Health Spending Account (HSA)
Life Insurence/AD&D Voluntary Life/AD&D Short/Long Term Disability
Gradifi, LeaveLogic, PerkSpot, Personal Capital, and RocketLawyer.
Formation at a glance
Formation focuses on CRM, Machine Learning, Retail Technology, and Customer Service. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Formation has raised $30M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2016.