get on-demand parts manufactured for any quantity, budget, or timeline
Senior Software Engineer, Backend
San Francisco, California, United States
Title: Senior Software Engineer - Backend (Multiple Openings)
Location: San Francisco, CA
About the Role
Senior engineers are the heart of our engineering team at Fictiv. As a Senior Engineer, you provide leadership from inside a project. You use your wealth of experience to find creative solutions to hard technical problems and elevate team practices. You work closely with other technical leaders to champion the quality of our product, mentor engineers, and build a highly available, performant system that scales globally with our fast-growing business.
As an engineering team, we value small cross-functional teams with a deep understanding of the technical stack. We build, test, and operate the services we build, including having engineers participate in on-call rotation. We believe that empathy, curiosity, and humility enable healthy and respectful disagreements, which allow us to achieve creative breakthroughs. If this sounds like you, apply now!
*What You’ll Be Doing *
- Build a secure, highly available cloud system that reliably ingests, quotes, and tracks millions of parts as they are manufactured around the world. Because we handle a significant amount of pre-production intellectual property, it is critical that we protect our customer’s data even as we move it across the globe.
- Set the standard for building high-quality software. This is 100% a hands-on role where you will tackle complex problems, design clean solutions, write clear code (including tests!), and lead by example. We are looking for folks willing to jump into our most complex modules and solve our trickiest problems.
- Promote best practices for working together to frequently deliver changes to production. Software development is a team sport, and we look to all our engineers to help one another achieve team goals, ensure uptime for our services, and give/receive feedback on how we can improve individually and collectively.
- Tackling a wide range of technical systems and challenges. We’re growing fast as a product and business, so the type of work will be dynamic and diverse. Examples of things you may work on include implementing token-based authorization and access control, developing algorithms to optimize job matching to manufacturing partners, building graceful failover between two third-party shipping services, and optimizing database queries to scale our backend services.
What We Need
- Experience with building and deploying applications in public clouds like AWS, GCP, and Azure
- A strong, hands-on technical track record of delivering public-facing APIs (REST, GraphQL)
- Extensive experience working with scalable cloud services, particularly with event-based asynchronous programming frameworks like Node.js or distributed queues
- Deep understanding of distributed systems concepts like caching, traceability, security, databases, sharding, and regional deployments
- Proven ability to be self-directed and operate effectively in a fast-paced and high-energy environment
- Nice to have experience in Enterprise-class AuthZ/AuthN (SSO, OAuth2, OpenIDConnect and etc.)
About Fictiv (www.fictiv.com)
*Fictiv exists to enable product innovators to create. *
Our Digital Manufacturing Ecosystem is transforming how the next rockets, self driving cars, and life-saving robots are designed, developed and delivered to customers around the world. This transformation is made possible through our network of skilled manufacturing partners around the globe, driving consistent revenue to help manufacturing businesses thrive through digital infrastructure.
In the last 6+ years, we've manufactured over 10M parts for early stage companies and large enterprises alike, helping them innovate with agility and get to market faster. Fictiv has raised $58M to date from top tier investors including Accel, Intel Capital, Bill Gates, and G2VP.
We’re actively seeking potential teammates who can bring diverse perspectives and experience to our culture and company. We believe inclusion is the best way to create a strong, empathetic team. Our belief is that the best team is born from an environment that emphasizes respect, honesty, collaboration, and growth. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups, including but not limited to women, members of the LGBTQ community, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans.
Fictiv at a glance
Fictiv focuses on Hardware, Manufacturing, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Engineering Firms. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Portland, and Panyu. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Fictiv has raised $33M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2019.