The world through fashion
Lead Data Scientist - NLP
We’re a Data team that does it all: big data engineering, state-of-the-art machine learning, and deep dive analytics and insight. We’re a diverse, global team who create innovative Data solutions to provide an unrivalled customer experience. Whether it’s churning gigabytes of ecommerce data, using AI to recommend the latest trends, or understanding our customers better than anyone else, we eat, sleep and breathe data so that we can drive Farfetch’s growth.
We are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join Farfetch in building the next-generation intelligent platform for online luxury fashion, powered by large-scale data and state of the art Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Information Retrieval, and Natural Language Processing algorithms.
You will join a talented team of Data Scientists, Engineers, and Product Designers to help build and optimise our data-driven products, through research and experimentation in Search & Discovery.
While we have many projects in delivery, we also keep a heavy focus on research, so that we always know what the best solution for a given problem is.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, with relevant experience successfully leading teams and developing people.
What you'll do
- Apply advanced machine learning and Natural Language Processing (NLP) techniques to drive business decisions;
- Mentor and help develop team members while keeping the focus on goals and deliverables;
- Empower the team and help guide research and development, with senior of novel intelligent approaches and solutions for the Search ecosystem;
- Help the business define Data Science strategy and work on new ways to make the most of data;
- Work closely with the engineering team members to integrate machine learning (ML) algorithms into the platform;
- Help in the design of new features in the product, and drive innovation inside the company through the use of disruptive technologies;
- Help find new talent for building the next-generation of Farfetch data scientists;
- Scientific and technical publications are possible and encouraged.
Who you are
- Preferably have a MSc or PhD in related topics such as Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Signal Processing, Speech Processing or Optimization;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Data Science related role, preferably in a leadership role;
- Good understanding of NLP and text mining techniques such as fuzzy string matching, spellcheck, word embeddings, advanced text encodings (ELMo, BERT), synonyms discovery, Named-Entity Recognition (NER), and Entity Linking (EL);
- Fluent in Python, common numerical and Math & ML packages (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, pandas, Keras, TensorFlow, PyTorch);
- Knowledge on eCommerce Search or Semantic Search is a plus;
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken, English mandatory;
- Be interested to keep up to date with scientific advancements.
Farfetch at a glance
Farfetch focuses on Internet, E-Commerce, Retail, and Fashion. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, New York, London, Lisbon, and São Paulo. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Farfetch has raised $991.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.