Changing the way we deal with death
Head of People
We’re looking for a Head of People to join our team of 75 (and growing fast!)
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced People professional to join the Leadership Team of one of the UK’s most exciting startups. You’ll nurture our unique culture and support our managers at every level to lead their teams - thinking not just about how to help people perform productively, but also about how to keep them engaged and happy at work.
Who you are:
You feel confident coaching line managers, providing consistent, fair advice about employee relations, and flexing your approach depending on business needs. You’re a seasoned, knowledgeable expert when it comes to HR policies and procedures, and adept at process and budget management. You’re an experienced manager of Talent functions, with an impressive track record of hiring successfully and at speed. You’re motivated to own the growth of our high-performing, varied team across a wide range of functions and products.
Beyond all this though, you’re up for generating ideas and initiatives that will help the Farewill team thrive. With sound instincts about what individuals and groups need to work together sustainably, your people skills are second to none. You’ve got a natural style, a big heart and a can do attitude. You’re keen to develop top talent, reward and recognise people who go the extra mile, foster collaboration, and drive change. You’re a team-player - passionate about organisational culture and committed to preserving and propelling ours as we gear up to help more people deal with death.
As our Head of People, over the next 12 months, you’ll:
- Report to our COO and work with the leadership team to develop our people strategy, supporting a high-performance culture that gets the best out of every team member
- Manage our Talent team, with responsibility for our hiring plan, onboarding and offboarding strategy, and reporting on KPIs
- Support functional heads with their teams’ learning & development including building on our current training programmes and progression frameworks
- Define processes for reviews, performance management and pay negotiations
- Guide managers and employees through performance improvement, sickness absence, disciplinary, grievance and appeal processes, being hands-on where necessary
- Draft internal comms on significant or sensitive topics
- Have input around team rituals, office environment and other culture development
- Advocate for company behaviours and diversity/inclusion, and proactively raise concerns with leadership
- Check team morale via regular surveys and check-ins, as well as by being the go-to person for staff to talk to regarding culture and HR questions
- Previous senior HR generalist role, partnering with business leaders
- Managed Talent teams in the past
- Experience in a fast-paced organisation with constant change
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills
- Commercially minded and comfortable with using data to inform decision-making
- Team player, but also unafraid to challenge others’ ways of thinking
- Creative thinker and problem solver, who develops innovative ideas and solutions to business problems
- Open to new ideas, knowledge and feedback as well as resilient and calm
- Experience of working in a consumer services organisation
- Experience of opening new office locations
- CIPD qualified
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you love the role but don’t know if you’re a 100% match, please still get in touch. We value attitude and propensity to learn above what’s on a CV!
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary and generous stock options
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Work from home on Wednesdays, flexible start and end to your day
- Regular off-site days and team lunches
- Santander cycles membership!
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths
- And much more!
Please note - In light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, all Farewill employees are working remotely and we will be conducting all interviews virtually for the foreseeable future. We will continue hiring as usual.
Santander cycles membership
Santander cycles membership
Maternity and paternity leave
One month of paid mandatory leave for new parents. We then provide an additional two months of optional paternity and maternity leave at half pay.
Work from home wednesdays
Team lunch every other tuesday and free snacks
£1000 and 3 days per year towards your personal development and training
Regular off-site days and team lunches
Farewill at a glance
Farewill focuses on Burial & Cremation Industry Worldwide, Legal Tech, and Fin Tech. Their company has offices in London. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Farewill has raised $8.1M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.