Machine learning to battle misinformation/disinformation
DevOps Engineer/Infrastructure£60k – £90k • 2.0% – 4.0%
Description of the Role
Factmata is looking for an engaged and experienced DevOps engineer to help us solve the problem of misinformation online. At Factmata, we are building systems to automatically classify the credibility, quality, safety and reliability of online information, using state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms paired with human expertise, as well as empower businesses to understand trending narratives online.
We’re looking for someone who will have a key role in building our core product as we bring it to market. You will be responsible for setting up and managing the AWS infrastructure needed to run our data pipelines and application services.
A key part of the role will be managing the development of all the SaaS software components that need to be built from our content understanding engine, including a backend architecture to ingest client social media data and content, and give context automatically on a polling schedule about the fake news/hate speech within it and trends around this. We also have a long roadmap around building APIs.
You will work closely with the Machine Learning team to support them with their infrastructure requirements. You also need to be a confident, proactive colleague who can take work into your own hands.
Current tech stack
What you'll be doing
- Support 4-5 engineers when deploying and shipping new features or services
- Delivering product specs from a tech perspective
- Building and managing the various Kubernetes environments on AWS that allow us to deploy ML models
- Supporting data engineers and ML engineers to build data pipelines using Kubeflow
- Making sure we can move from processing 00s of websites/URLs in the content understanding engine to millions so we can handle large ad tech clients
- Think through things like orchestrators, multi-threading and parallelisation in our architecture
- Building out APIs to each ML model component we have built already
- Ensure everything we deploy is secure, performant and observable
- Leading the platform team working closely with the ML Roadmap to ensure it can be executed and models can be run effectively in our pipeline.
What we're looking for
- Proactive and positive attitude with ability to own projects
- Experience building and managing Kubernetes infrastructure on AWS and knowledge of virtualisation with proven wins
- Passionate about writing clean, well tested, and maintainable code
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, Jenkins / CircleCI
- Keen eye for doing things consistently, maintaining a clean architecture and making it possible for our development team to iterate and deploy quickly and smoothly.
Bonus points for experience with:
- Experience with Ansible
- Experience with Hashicorp Vault
- Observability experience with Prometheus, Grafana, Kibana
- Experience with Kafka/RabbitMQ.
Joining the Factmata family represents an unprecedented opportunity to be part of a team with an outstanding purpose and the rare potential to do good in the world. We hire strongly for our values.
- Deliver results for our users.
- Do the basics.
- In facts we trust.
- Team sport.
- Be candid.
- Think Big!
- Prioritise growth.
- Show humility.
If you aren't completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing - we're at least as interested in character as in talent. Factmata is an environment you will learn in and be challenged, develop and grow as a person, build phenomenal technology, be given limitless opportunities to innovate and research, given autonomy, and connected with some of the brightest minds to help you do your work
Factmata at a glance
Factmata focuses on Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, News, and Natural Language Processing. Their company has offices in London. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Factmata has raised $3.054M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2019.