Ethos is using technology to reinvent life insurance with today’s families in mind
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get term life insurance. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally 15-week process into a modern digital experience for our users.
Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed as Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020 as well as featured on VentureBeat for raising $60m in our series C funding. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families.
About the Role
As a backend engineer, you'll work across the stack and be responsible for the entire customer journey from where we store data to our server application logic. You’ll work closely with our other engineers to build and ship key features. We are detail oriented and value clean, modular, and high-performing code. You'll help architect and build our internal standards and frameworks. We love engineering-wide consistency in code and have huge ambitions on both client and server side.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to develop and ship features
- Design, build, and maintain our API’s
- Write efficient, modular, and reusable libraries and abstractions
- Design and build internal tooling to improve development efficiency
- Find and solve performance issues
- Participate in code reviews
- Communicate best practices to the team
- Mentor junior engineers
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1-3+ years of full time engineering experience
- Engineering experience in TypeScript, GoLang, Python, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, React, AWS
- Experience with back end architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications
- Ability to design clean APIs and understanding of performance issues
- Experienced with software engineering best practices – design patterns, code reviews, unit and integration testing, etc.
- Ability to communicate technical specifications both verbal and written
- Solid CS fundamentals – including data structures and algorithms
- Understanding of security, common attacks and defenses
- Knowledge of build systems configurations and setup - such as Webpack
- Experience with infrastructure, distributed systems, and deploying apps into a high-scale environment
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
Medical, dental, and vision 100% covered by Ethos
Work from home policy
Daily meals(breakfast, lunch, dinner) plus a fully-stocked kitchen,Dog-friendly office (San Francisco)
Free one medical membership
Team events and happy hours, Company volunteer opportunities, Employee interest groups
Ethos at a glance
Ethos focuses on Insurance, Software, Finance Technology, and Insurtech. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Austin, and Singapore. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Ethos has raised $106.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2019.