Music and mental health
Software Engineer (Back-End or Full-Stack)$80k – $130k • 0.4% – 2.0%
Ensu is a mission-driven, venture backed consumer company at the intersection of music and mental health. Our mission is to make navigating mental health easy, and our app lets people use their music listening as a tool to understand and manage their mental health. We value
having an open and inclusive culture, where work doesn’t feel like just a job. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and like to have fun at work, because let’s face it life’s far too short not to! Our company values are centered around practising active compassion, diverse
perspectives, and openness without fear.
As a backend engineer, you’ll work closely with the frontend, product, and design teams on iterations and new features. You’ll be responsible for backend architecture and development of new data schemas, data processing and formatting, and implementing new API endpoints for our GraphQL API.
Our backend is built on Django and Graphene (GraphQL for Python) with a PostgreSQL database. In this role, you can expect to grow to learn and control the entire backed architecture of a complex but reliable system. We deploy server-side code to Google Cloud using Kubernetes and Docker to various containers that i) control background task processing using RabbitMQ and Celery ii) serve user requests over our Ingress and Nodeport services and iii) respond to external requests to third party APIs that we integrate with.
- You own your projects and take responsibility for your work. Sometimes you will be working on a standalone project, others you’ll be collaborating with various stakeholders. Regardless you are able to satisfy the constraints and deliver.
- You are a self starter. You work with minimal instructions and guidance; rather than being told what to do, more often than not you’ll be given a problem and expected to manufacture a solution that works.
- You know when to ask for help. When something is out of your scope or you are having trouble, you know that asking for help is not a weakness but rather a strength
- You deliver reliable and consistent code on time. You enjoy thoughtful conversations about problems and architecting solutions but at the end of the day you know that delivering the solution before the deadline is most important.
- You know the balance needed when it comes to hacking together a solution versus implementing a feature with rigor. Some things can be tested and iterated on quickly whereas others need thorough development to solve complex problems.
- You’re resourceful, flexible, and adaptable. There’s no challenge too big or too small.
- 5+ years of backend or full stack software engineering experience in industry
- Fluency Python and one other major programming language (Java, JS, Ruby, etc.)
- Extensive experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, or similar structured query language
- Experience with a Python based web application framework (Django, Flask, etc.)
- Experience with GraphQL as well as API design principles and best practices
- A passion for mental health and helping people. Personal lived experience around mental health and a dedicated interest in the area.
- A love of music and interest in the music arts. Whether as a musician or an active and engaged appreciator of music and musicians.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, and container orchestration
- Experience with RabbitMQ or Redis
- Experience with Google Cloud