Music and mental health
Software Engineer (Front-end)$80k – $130k • 0.4% – 2.0%
Ensu is a mission-driven, venture backed consumer company at the intersection of music and mental health. Our mission is to make navigating mental health easy, and our app lets people use their music listening as a tool to understand and manage their mental health. We value
having an open and inclusive culture, where work doesn’t feel like just a job. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and like to have fun at work, because let’s face it life’s far too short not to! Our company values are centered around practising active compassion, diverse
perspectives, and openness without fear.
As a frontend engineer, you’ll work closely with the backend, product, and design teams. You’ll be responsible for development on the mobile app, as well as collaborating on designs, rapid iterative prototyping, A/B testing, and the end result UX / UI.
Our mobile app is built using React Native and leverages Expo. We have a GraphQL schema as the API so we use the Apollo platform to manage the data communications between the frontend and our backend. In this role you can expect to grow to learn the entire user-facing application and develop code that users directly interact and engage with.
- You own your projects and take responsibility for your work. Sometimes you will be working on a standalone project, others you’ll be collaborating with various stakeholders. Regardless you are able to satisfy the constraints and deliver.
- You are a self starter. You work with minimal instructions and guidance; rather than being told what to do, more often than not you’ll be given a problem and expected to manufacture a solution that works.
- You know when to ask for help. When something is out of your scope or you are having trouble, you know that asking for help is not a weakness but rather a strength
- You deliver reliable and consistent code on time. You enjoy thoughtful conversations about problems and architecting solutions but at the end of the day you know that delivering the solution before the deadline is most important.
- You know the balance needed when it comes to hacking together a solution versus implementing a feature with rigor. Some things can be tested and iterated on quickly whereas others need thorough development to solve complex problems.
- You’re resourceful, flexible, and adaptable. There’s no challenge too big or too small.
- 5+ years of frontend or full stack software engineering experience in industry
- Extensive experience with React Native
- Experience with GraphQL, Apollo, and React Hooks
- Experience using Figma, Sketch, After Effects, or Photoshop
- A passion for mental health and helping people. Personal lived experience around mental health and a dedicated interest in the area.
- A love of music and interest in the music arts. Whether as a musician or an active and engaged appreciator of music and musicians.
- Knowledge of a web framework like React, Angular, or Vue
- Experience with Apple App Store and Google Play Store