Senior Software Engineer
Our unique platform gives us an unparalleled understanding of cryptocurrency capital flows, using a combination of network science and machine learning to aggregate and interpret vast quantities of transaction data. We provide anti-money laundering (AML) compliance software and investigative services to the leading participants in the cryptocurrency ecosystem. Customers rely on us to analyse more than $150bn of their transactions every month, and include cryptocurrency businesses, major financial institutions, and federal government agencies.
The company has offices in London, UK, New York, NY, and Arlington, VA. We are backed by Octopus Ventures, SignalFire, Paladin Capital, Santander InnoVentures, and Digital Currency Group.
What's the role?
Elliptic is looking for an ambitious, passionate, hands-on technology leader to help expand our cutting-edge blockchain analysis platform. As a Senior Software Engineer for our Data Platform, we expect you to have both strong coding abilities and a passion for developing a high-performing team comprised of engineers, data scientists, and data analysts.
You will help drive the design and development of our core systems while building a positive team culture where you are supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people.
We leverage open source technologies but have also written our own high-performance in-memory data pipelines and analytics engine. This is an area you will be actively involved in developing.
You'll be working with engineers and data scientists to develop high performance, flexible data pipelines, visualisations, and analytical systems.
* Immerse yourself in blockchain - how it works and the various services that use them
* Guide the technical implementation of our data harvesting, curation, and analytics systems
* Contribute to architectural decisions
* Research, prototype, and recommend new technologies and frameworks
* Develop, and potentially lead, a team of engineers - taking care of hiring, onboarding, mentoring, career development, and performance management
Your biggest challenges will be:
* Balancing high-performance data processing with flexible querying and auditability
* Ensuring a single source of truth and a robust ontology for recording facts about participants on the blockchain
* Keeping track of downstream impacts of changes to the data platform
* Staying on top of blockchain developments, forks, etc. that could affect our systems
We're looking for someone with:
* 7+ years industry experience with core Java, Scala or other relevant languages
* Strong Computer Science fundamentals, including good working knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and concurrency.
* A passion for developing and mentoring team members
* Highly developed technical and people troubleshooting skills
* Expertise with data pipelines and modelling for analytic scenarios (SQL, NoSQL, Graph databases)
* Rigor in engineering best-practices
* A strong approach to testing and QA
* Been actively involved in Agile development practices and working with Product Owners to set priorities
* Excellent communication skills
Bonus points for:
* Exposure to real-time analytics and big data technologies (e.g. Spark, GraphX, Hadoop, Akka, ELK, etc.)
* Experience with graph databases (e.g. Neo4j)
* Familiarity with DevOps tools (e.g. Docker, Ansible, Hashicorp, Jenkins, etc.)
* Experience deploying to cloud infrastructure
* Appetite for discussions about economics, money, identity and privacy
* Interest in cryptocurrencies
* Share options in a fast growing, world-leading business
* Private health insurance
* Work pension scheme
* Shiny laptop and multiple monitors
* Budget for training materials, events, and conferences
* Quarterly, full day off-sites
* Annual company 3 day offsite
* An awesome team of developers and data scientists to work with
Elliptic at a glance
Elliptic focuses on Financial Services, Law Enforcement, Bitcoin, and Blockchains. Their company has offices in New York City and London. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Elliptic has raised $7M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2016.