We help people explore and analyze their data differently using the power of search
Senior SQL Data Analyst
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects - Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats - we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 40+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Thanks to our ongoing expansion we are now seeking a Sr. SQL Analyst to join our Global Insights & Analytics team, a division within the broader Sales Finance & Strategy team. In this role, you’ll have an opportunity to work alongside our Sales Strategy and IT teams developing key elements of our data warehouse to provide critical insights on the performance of our field operations organization.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Collaborate with our IT integrations and BI team to ensure the data warehouse environment has all the data we need to be successful
- Help the team shift from a reactive analytics motion to a proactive motion: what happened, why it happened, and how to optimize/improve moving forward.
- Balance critical, long-term thinking about how we scale the business with hands-on delivery to ensure what needs to happen today gets done.
- Dig into the data to deliver meaningful insights.
- SQL View Development: create SQL queries and aggregations that help us derive key reports, forecasts, and other operational results inside of Google BigQuery
What You Bring Along:
- You are strong in analytical and process skills, comfortable engaging with senior leadership, effective at collaborating with multiple teams, and building positive relationships with business partners.
- Data Architecture: Design efficient and performant structures that support answering a variety of business questions. The environment requires familiarity with classic warehousing approaches such as star and snowflake schemas, as well as blending these techniques with dynamic views.
- Visualizations: Collaborate with IT and build visualizations (in Kibana and/or a similar tool) that help our Sales team and leaders
- Audit and Enablement: you’ll educate and advise key partners about the data outputs and metrics you generate
- Driving Requirements: help build the requirements for how our Sales Strategy business partners use these insights and their impact
- Standardization and Documentation - The SQL analyst will be encouraged to maintain high levels of standards including documentation
- Proven track record of 5+ years, and a solid grasp of SQL Databases, with a slight preference for exposure to Google BigQuery or Postgres.
- Expert-level ability to craft SQL queries and create views using data from multiple tables and sources, with a focus on aggregations and statistical functions.
- Proven track record of the full scope of a SQL analyst: from requirements gathering → data modeling → Data QA/peer-reviewing → building visuals → presenting results to partners → enabling self-service tools for the end-user.
- Prior experience working in sales operations
- Have a passion for optimizing process and structure.
- Curious and using data daily to make decisions
- Thrive in navigating ambiguity
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Excel: most of your team members have models in excel that they’re looking to bring into BI
- Incredible attention to detail
- High autonomy. You will be given the chance to create a high impact on the success of the company as a whole and understand the keys to success in a highly transparent multi-functional role.
- knowledge of the Elastic stack, particularly Kibana.
- Prior experience with R for data analysis & statistics and Tableau.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Double your charitable giving - we match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
Toast to your health
Health coverage for you and your family in many locations.
Minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave.
Craft your calendar
Flexible location and schedule for many roles.
Savo(u)r time for you
Generous number of vacation days each year.
Give back your time
Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
Amplify your impact
Double your charitable giving — we match up to 1% of your salary.
Elastic at a glance
Elastic focuses on SaaS, Cloud Computing, Open Source, Search, and Real Time. Their company has offices in San Francisco, New York, Phoenix, Singapore, and London. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Elastic has raised $162M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2016.