Software Engineer, Backend£60k – £100k
Whether it’s to visit the people closest to us, starting an exciting adventure, or a career-defining business trip, travel is an essential part of our lives. Yet we've all experienced the aches and pains of getting to our destination. Today, more than 4 billion airline passengers rely on technology that hasn't kept up with the expectations of the modern connected traveller.
That’s why we’ve started to rebuild the infrastructure that underpins the travel industry. We’re on a mission to unravel travel — simplifying systems and building the tools that will make the future of travel effortless.
We were part of Y Combinator S18's cohort and we are backed Benchmark, Blossom, Index Ventures and Kima Ventures. A fantastic set of investors that has helped build some of the world's largest companies.
Our team in London is growing and we’re looking for talented people to join us on our journey.
Engineering at Duffel
We're a small team building tools to simplify travel distribution, search and booking. What does this actually mean? It's one common and seamless API. This brings huge technical challenges as we need to design and build a beautiful API before integrating to hundreds of airlines. Along with that we need to navigate through the differing needs and systems of each airline whilst building a fantastic developer experience to go with it.
The tools used on the team include Elixir, Phoenix, Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform.
What we're looking for in you
- A passion for designing and building fantastic API's, delivering great developer experiences to go with it.
- An interest in working with Elixir, this is what we mostly work with. Previous experience isn't necessary and learning on the job is absolutely fine. What's more important is your general engineering ability rather than your knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- A high bar in code quality and API design.
- Opinions on what good engineering standards and processes look like as we define ours at Duffel.
- Big picture thinking - you can make trade offs on technical work streams against business impact.
- Fantastic communication skills. You're able to articulate what you're working on and why to the team in a clear and structured way.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment. You believe in your own methods but keep an open mind, taking suggestions and feedback onboard as well.
What you can expect from us
We’re dedicated to your personal growth. Our environment is comfortable physically, but also in that our ears are always open to any ideas, concerns and questions. We believe that everyone should have pride in their work, taking full ownership of it and its impact. That’s why everyone who joins Duffel owns a share of the company.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We believe that the key to our success is employing a diverse team, that’s why recruitment decisions are only based on your experience and skills. We value your ability to problem solve and build amazing things so we welcome applications for everyone – regardless of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Everyone who joins duffel owns a share of the company.
Duffel at a glance
Duffel focuses on Internet, Online Travel, Developer APIs, Tourism, and Travel. Their company has offices in London. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Duffel has raised $56.2M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.