Cloud-native data lake
Sr. Technical Product Marketing Manager
Be Part Of Building The Future
Dremio is the Data Lake Engine company. Our mission is to reshape the world of analytics to deliver on the promise of data with a fundamentally new architecture, purpose-built for the exploding trend towards cloud data lake storage such as AWS S3 and Microsoft ADLS. We dramatically reduce and even eliminate the need for the complex and expensive workarounds that have been in use for decades, such as data warehouses (whether on-premise or cloud-native), structural data prep, ETL, cubes, and extracts. We do this by enabling lightning-fast queries directly against data lake storage, combined with full self-service for data users and full governance and control for IT. The results for enterprises are extremely compelling: 100X faster time to insight; 10X greater efficiency; zero data copies; and game-changing simplicity. And equally compelling is the market opportunity for Dremio, as we are well on our way to disrupting a $25BN+ market.
If you, like us, say “bring it on” to exciting challenges that really do change the world (no BS), we have endless opportunities where you can make your mark.
About the Role - And About You
As a Data Architect / Evangelist at Dremio you will increase awareness and adoption of our Data Lake Engine product and service offerings by data architects and engineers in our target customer base via deeply technical and engaging content in all areas of the data lake ecosystem, not just Dremio. This includes technical whitepapers, talks, software demonstrations, best practices, architectural comparisons and analysis, new analytical designs and approaches, deeply practical how-to’s, and even occasional customer on-boarding.
Because you are a hands-on data architect with strong data engineering skills you know how to break down and get inside different data architectures and approaches to uncover the “why” and educate others like you on the trade-offs and implications. And you’re a strong collaborator who can work closely with our Solution Architects, Engineering, Product Management, and Technical Product Marketing counterparts. You’ll spend significant time in the lab exploring, designing, building (and ultimately educating on) the best ways to build and optimize cloud data lakes in support of our customers’ analytical goals. And you’ll be a critical input into our product roadmap, as you investigate, evaluate, test and lead technical solutions for future systems.
Did we do a good job describing you? Well alright then - read on!
Your Activities: Data Design Management - 50% of time
- Design and architect for distributed, scalable, and reliable data pipelines that ingest and process data at scale and in real-time.
- Architect solutions for the design and implementation of data lake Infrastructure with a strong focus on cloud data lakes in AWS and Azure.
- Create data environments and/or data sets to serve a wide range of data users, including but not limited to Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Business Analysts and etc.
- Perform and optimize analysis of large data sets using ecosystem tools including Dremio.
- Evaluate data lake technologies and prototype solutions to improve data processing architecture.
- Lead the process to Investigate, evaluate, test and recommend technical solutions for future systems.
- Evaluate competitive approaches (including open source) at the architectural and feature level, to identify strong areas of differentiation.
- Benchmark us vs. competition along the most important criteria for our technical buyers and evaluators
Your Activities: Technical Advisor & Evangelist - 50% of time
- Guide existing and future customers on the best ways to design, develop, and deploy data lake data sets and tools that support analytic use cases.
- Guide and support data compliance techniques that meet global data governance requirements.
- Educate the market on the architectural and technical differences between Dremio and our competition, and how/why Dremio’s approach is better for customers.
- Educate our technical audience on how our capabilities work and are architected to solve difficult data engineering and data science problems.
- Evangelize and demonstrate Dremio to analysts, prospects, and customers—in meetings, webinars, seminars, at conferences and tradeshows, and anywhere else required
- Define and deliver technical industry and customer education deliverables including data lake ecosystem (including Dremio) product and solution demos, videos, presentations, blogs, competitive analyses, technical whitepapers, thought leadership content, and solution architect enablement materials.
The Competencies You Need to Bring
- 10 years of professional experience as a data engineer.
- 4 years of experience with cloud and data lake computing design, provisioning, and tuning.
- Required experience with programming languages – Python, Scala, Ruby, R.
- Required database technologies - SQL, performance tuning concepts, AWS RDS, RedShift
- Experience with big data batch processing tools: Hadoop MapReduce, ElasticSearch, PIG, Hive, Cascading/Scalding, Apache Spark, AWS EMR.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kinesis, Kafka, MQTT.
- Experience with relational NoSQL databases including DynamoDB.
- Ability to write JSON, XML, YAML and other data definition schemas.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts, object and data modeling techniques and design principles.
- Successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected data sets.
- Blogger and evangelist for data and analytics topics, with ability to effectively articulate and showcase technology with flair, and to different types of audiences.
- Passionate about groundbreaking technology, with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter who truly enjoys working in a fast-paced, innovative software company.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent.
- Master’s degree in data science, information management or other knowledge management field ideal.
The Benefits You’ll Get Along the Way
- Medical, dental, vision
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Catered lunch (everyday), snacks, and drinks
- Employee referral bonus program
- Awesome coworkers. Ping pong, acoustic guitars, and karaoke anyone?
- The deep satisfaction of reshaping an industry for the better. This sort of profound shift doesn’t happen often!
- Being part of an incredible startup success story as we drive towards an eventual IPO and beyond.
Work & life
In addition to unlimited vacation and a flexible working schedule, we offer generous parental leave benefits for new moms and dads.
Catered lunch every day, great snacks, and the occasional Mister Softee visit or butter tasting keep things fun around the office.
We keep our days meeting-light, so we can focus on solving problems. Still, Dremio's a friendly, fun place to work. If you need help, just ask.
Dremio at a glance
Dremio focuses on Enterprise Software, Analytics, Big Data, Software, and Big Data Analytics. Their company has offices in Mountain View and Santa Clara. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Dremio has raised $45M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2018.