Our vision is to bring gaming communities together
Senior Software Engineer - Audio/Video (C++)
Join our journey to create the best cross-platform application for messaging and real-time interactions! The Audio & Video engineering team at Discord owns the technology and end to end-user experience of our audio/video features across desktop and mobile. The team’s mission is to give our users the utmost confidence that our voice, video, and client experience is outstanding.
- Develop core libraries and infrastructure supporting high-quality, low latency voice/video/text communication between hundreds of millions of users
- Develop new audio and video features across desktop, iOS, and Android platforms
- Continuously improve video quality end to end
- Fix performance issues and bugs by root causing real-world end-user audio/video issues
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team
- 4+ years experience with embedded or systems-level engineering
- Comfort with coding in C++
- Experience working on large, cross-platform software projects
- Keen focus on code readability and incremental refactoring
- Experience working with WebRTC, SIP, SDP, SRTP
- Experience working with common audio/video codecs such as AC3/EAC3, MPEG-4, VP8/H.264
- Experience with Rust
- You contribute to open-source projects
- We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical (HMO or PPO), Dental, and Vision at no cost for employees
- Paid leave for new parents and 14-days PTO
- Fully subsidized commuter and parking benefit
- Gym allowance
- Awesome daily catered lunches and snacks
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical (HMO or PPO), Dental, and Vision plans at no cost for employees.
Basic Life & AD&D, Disability, Supplemental Life, and Accident insurance.
Paid leave for new parents to spend some quality time with the next generation of gamers!
Take a load off
Stay refreshed with 14 paid holidays, use-what-you-need sick days, and four weeks of PTO.
Awesome daily catered lunches and snacks. A desk fund to make your space yours. Whatever you need for your computer setup, including a headphone allowance.
It’s fitness time
Workout on us! A fitness allowance for your gym membership or favorite workout class. Yoga in office every Thursday.
Fully subsidized commuter and parking benefit (up to $265/month). Get over here!
Our office is located in Potrero Hill, a little neighborhood in SF near awesome coffee, food, and Whole Foods. Also sushi.
Excellent customized relocation packages for new hires.
Discord at a glance
Discord focuses on Video Games, Messaging, and Chat. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Discord has raised $378.2M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2020 at a valuation of $3.5B.