We create digital products that support global development efforts
Backend Engineer$95k – $107k
Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation that builds software solutions and provides technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open-source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported over 2,000 projects in 80 countries.
About the Position:
Our Global technology team helps to develop and improve our platform’s architecture design for expressing end-to-end system workflows, both at the functional level and the technical level. Since CommCare is used for applications related to many different types of problems, from agricultural extension education to improving delivery outcomes at birth, the software is written as a portable application engine. That means we don’t often build custom code for specific projects.
Dimagi is looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Global Technology team and contribute to our SaaS division. This position will be based out of our Cambridge office but is also open to remote employment within the United States. This role is a 12-month fixed-term position with the option for converting to a permanent status pending re-evaluation of requirements at the end of the contract.
Dimagi’s technology is being utilized for the COVID-19 response, and we are looking for engineers to assist with this effort. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys small organizations, multi-tasking, and a highly flexible work environment. Our developers share a passion for making things work in challenging situations and seeing the impact of our work first-hand.
Responsibilities of this role:
- Hardening Dimagi’s offerings by using modern best-practices such as version control, continuous integration, automated tests, daily deploy and cloud infrastructure tools
- Improve the capabilities and efficiencies of our security and compliance control mechanisms by developing new software features and introducing automation
- Work together with our platform lead in managing the interface between our application and infrastructure with a focus on security
- Collaborate with our multicultural development and implementation teams around the globe
Who You Must Be:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Experienced in developing enterprise-quality software in a high-level language such as Python or Ruby
- Familiarity with building backend software for the web
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Authorized to work in the United States
Familiarity with common security approaches at both a cloud appliance and software development practice level
Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
Enthusiasm about working in public health and international development
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. The benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance paired with a generous Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) fund
- A 401K plan with up to a 4% employer match
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick time and an excellent parental leave policy
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
- 10 personal initiative days
- Occasional opportunities to travel internationally
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family or parental status, veteran, or disability status.
Apply Now! --> https://grnh.se/dda384dc1us
100% employer sponsored medical insurance
Dimagi pays 100% of health insurance premiums for employees and their dependents.
Cambridge, MA - Dental insurance is available for employees to purchase. Cape Town, South Africa - Dental insurance is included as part of the health plan
Cambridge,MA - Vision Insurance is optional and paid through pre-tax payroll deductions
Paid parental leave
12 weeks of paid leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks of paid leave for non-primary caregivers.
Dimagi is flexible about work locations - you're able to work from home, or a coffee shop, or wherever you feel you'll be most comfortable and productive
Generous vacation time
30 paid vacation days inclusive of public holidays. Unlimited Sick days.
Employee assistance plan
Provided through Magellan this benefit includes a package of services, tools and resources to help staff and their household members meet daily challenges and get assistance for more difficult situations.
Personal initiative days
10 paid personal initiative days for professional development.
Dimagi covers all employees for medical and evacuation insurance on business trips