Create advantage through scientifically validated analytics
Director of Federal Engineering (TS/SCI)
Descartes Labs is a software and analytics company that enables organizations to understand their relationship with the physical world and use actionable insights to create positive change. We provide a unified modeling platform for spatial, market, sensor, and customer data that generates scientifically validated analytics at a global scale. Headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Descartes Labs has offices across the United States serving customers globally.
Diverse problems require a diverse group of individuals and mindsets which is why we strive to build an inclusive culture and community. We strive to empower our teams to tackle the world’s largest problems for good and for profit. Join us at Descartes Labs where we’re helping people see the world in a different way.
We’re headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico and have offices in New York, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Washington, DC.
The Director of Federal Engineering will report directly into our Head of Engineering and will be responsible for the entire development environment for our Federal contracts including the Department of Defense, Department of Energy, the intelligence community and many others. You will work on both classified and unclassified projects, understand the technical requirements of our clients, and lead a team to fulfill our federal contract obligations while being in charge of our federal engineering strategy.
- As the Director of Federal Engineering, you will guide our company strategy within the government space in both classified and unclassified environments (TS/SCI)
- You will be responsible for architecting and adapting our geospatial analysis platform within federal government requirements
- You will build out and mentor a federally-focused technical team
What You Bring
- Deep technical experience and working knowledge of the defense and intelligence sector (NRO, NGA, CIA, USAF, etc..)
- TS/SCI Clearance
- Geospatial domain experience
- Management of a software team
- Experience working in the start-up sector
- Familiarity with the DevSecOps lifecycle in government software deployment lifecycle
- Production workload experience with Kubernetes or distributed systems
- Experience with automation & configuration management (Terraform)
- Experience with modern build systems and CI/CD pipelines
- Strong familiarity with cloud systems (Google Cloud/AWS) and cloud infrastructure
- Proficiency with Linux systems
- Understanding of best practices for large-scale always-available web services
Our Interview Process
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Head of Engineering
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule a 60 minute interview with our Head of Government
- Finally, candidates are invited to a virtual interview panel with ~5 members of the Engineering/Leadership team
Top Reasons To Work At Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply. Nobody is an expert on all or even parts of our stack. When you join our team you will deepen and widen your knowledge as you grow with us over the next few years.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community and we embrace equal opportunity in a serious way. We strive to be a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.
Blue cross blue shield
Choice of 2 BCBS plans; fully-covered with higher deductible, not fully-covered with lower-deductible. HSA, Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability.
Managed financial service, unmatched.
Maternity and paternity leave
12 weeks paid leave, inclusive of adoption or foster care.
Work from home
Flexible paid time off
In addition to 11 celebrated holidays.
Chef in hq office
Membership to gym
Funded conference attendance
Descartes Labs at a glance
Descartes Labs focuses on Internet, Consumer Goods, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Development Platforms. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Santa Fe. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Descartes Labs has raised $58.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019.