Create advantage through scientifically validated analytics
Government Program Manager
The Descartes Labs Platform is the missing link in making satellite imagery useful. We collect data daily from public and commercial imagery providers, clean it, calibrate it, and store it in an easy-to-access file system, ready for scientific analysis. The Descartes Labs Platform provides one-stop access to an unparalleled repository of pre-processed historical and real-time public and commercial satellite imagery. The approach enables globally-scaled machine learning business intelligence for some of the most valuable and consequential use cases in the market.
Diverse problems require a diverse group of individuals and mindsets which is why we strive to build an inclusive culture and community. We strive to empower our teams to tackle the world’s largest problems for good and for profit. Join us at Descartes Labs where we’re helping people see the world in a different way.
We’re headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico and have offices in New York, San Francisco, and Minneapolis.
The Government Program Manager will own direct customer relationships with Descartes Labs’ Air Force government clients at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The primary focus of this job will be project delivery success on a multi-year contract, with a secondary role of identifying additional opportunity in the federal space, and additional program management duties as assigned. The Government Program Manager will also contribute to marketing and communication efforts for the government market, as well as provide feedback to the Product Management team for future product development.
- Develop a deep understanding of the technical nuances of how the Descartes Labs Platform and technology works in order to become a true partner for our government clients, helping them understand opportunities and responding with forward-looking solutions
- Have a strong command of government research projects relating to cloud-based, mutli-sensor, and geospatial technologies, with the ability to guide and lead complex government projects with multiple stakeholders over the lifetime of the relationship
- Be a product and platform expert with strong technical command and an analytical outlook
- Partner with Sales, Engineering, and Product Management teams to achieve project and client relationship goals
- Handle day-to-day requests and customer issues thoughtfully and quickly, and solicit feedback while maintaining a strong sense of Descartes Labs' broader priorities
- Build scalable resources and best practices to train and service customers and end-users
- Responsible for key customer success metrics, including project performance indicators, account churn, growth, and renewals
- Come up with creative approaches to satisfy data and analyses needs
What You Bring:
- A positive reputation with relevant government agencies
- Track record of successfully developing and maintaining direct customer relationships and understanding of the the inner workings of DoD contracting and budgeting
- Deep understanding of remote sensing technology and the multi-sensor landscape, and the needs and mindsets of government customers in this space
- Active TS, SCI clearable
- Undergraduate degree
- Experience defining program requirements
- 5+ years of experience delivering cross-functional projects
- 5+ years of experience in program or project management
- 5+ years of experience working cross-functionally with technical and non-technical teams
- Experience interacting with business and technical teams across clients, collecting feedback, and translating into product/platform requirements
- Excellent written and presentation skills
- 4+ years of professional experience working either at SaaS companies and/or working with large enterprise customers, supporting technical implementations
- Specific knowledge of The Air Force's use of cloud, data fusion, ISR, and geospatial technologies is highly desired
- Management experience of up to 5 people
- Exposure to Python and cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in the remote sensing sector
- PMP certification
The Interview Process:
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Government Hiring Manager
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule an additional 60 minute interview with an additional member of our Government team
- Finally, candidates are invited to a virtual interview panel with a mix of ~5 members from the Government team and broader organization
Top Reasons To Work At Descartes Labs:
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environmentDescartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply. Nobody is an expert on all or even parts of our stack. When you join our team you will deepen and widen your knowledge as your grow with us over the next few years.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community and we embrace equal opportunity in a serious way. We strive to be a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.
Blue cross blue shield
Choice of 2 BCBS plans; fully-covered with higher deductible, not fully-covered with lower-deductible. HSA, Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability.
Managed financial service, unmatched.
Maternity and paternity leave
12 weeks paid leave, inclusive of adoption or foster care.
Work from home
Flexible paid time off
In addition to 11 celebrated holidays.
Chef in hq office
Membership to gym
Funded conference attendance
Descartes Labs at a glance
Descartes Labs focuses on Internet, Consumer Goods, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Development Platforms. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Santa Fe. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Descartes Labs has raised $58.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019.