Create advantage through scientifically validated analytics
Applied Scientist (Commodities Market Forecasting)
The Descartes Labs Platform is the missing link in making satellite imagery useful. We collect data daily from public and commercial imagery providers, clean it, calibrate it, and store it in an easy-to-access file system, ready for scientific analysis. The Descartes Labs Platform provides one-stop access to an unparalleled repository of pre-processed historical and real-time public and commercial satellite imagery. The approach enables globally-scaled machine learning business intelligence for some of the most valuable and consequential use cases in the market. We are seeking an Applied Scientist with a focus on Machine Learning and Financial or Commodities Trading.
Diverse problems require a diverse group of individuals and mindsets which is why we strive to build an inclusive culture and community. We strive to empower our teams to tackle the world’s largest problems for good and for profit. Join us at Descartes Labs where we’re helping people see the world in a different way.
As a Market Forecasting Applied Scientist you should have a passion for creating client value, cutting edge technology, the world of big data, and the connectivity of the physical and digital worlds with markets and business. Descartes Labs is building the geospatial data platform of the future that enables world class analysis at global scale. In this position, you’ll work with our internal data science team to build cutting edge solutions for business users across many industries. You’ll be an advocate for our technology and help transform the way our customers utilize geospatial data in their companies in ways entirely novel to them and the business world in general.
- Assimilate multiple data sets (public and proprietary, geospatial and transactional) to build market price models over various time horizons
- Model and simulate various forward-looking scenarios that take into account weather, geographic, political, economic, financial and other risks to assess impact on markets
- Leverage a wide array of technical tools to derive signal: machine learning, signal processing, statistics, financial modeling, risk modeling, and geospatial operations
- Synthesize the above to develop actionable, quantitative, backtested trading insights where all factors influencing a recommendation are fully understood
- Utilize trading insights for developing full business solutions like trading or purchasing strategies and/or logistical optimization
- Constant monitoring and evaluation against real-time market and economic developments to drive continuous ROI and value for our clients
- Design and manage the production environments and processes that enable these products
- Determine repeated, automatable components and work with the product team to design and implement innovative and marketable tools that facilitate and scale this work
What You Bring
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in a relevant field (finance, computer science, mathematics, statistics, etc.)
- Strong experience with machine learning
- Time series analysis / signal processing
- Strong experience and familiarity with commodities markets and supply chains
- Experience in developing financial/trading models that have had capital deployed against them
- Experience with stochastic (Monte Carlo) models
- Demonstrated proficiency in a scientific programming language (preferably Python)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently; flexible and able to quickly adapt; self-motivated
- Proven ability to work and communicate efficiently with clients as well as organizational prowess for collaborative efforts with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with numpy, sklearn, scikit-image, matplotlib
- Experience with version control software (e.g. GitHub, Mercurial, etc.)Experience with cloud and/or distributed computing
- Ability to coordinate complex technical production pipelines
Our Interview Process
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the screening call, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Hiring manager
- After that, candidates will be invited to schedule an additional 60 minute coding interview with an additional member of our Applied Science team
- Finally, candidates are invited to a virtual interview panel with ~5 members of the Customer Success team
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply. Nobody is an expert on all or even parts of our stack. When you join our team you will deepen and widen your knowledge as you grow with us over the next few years.
Descartes Labs is committed to building a diverse community and we embrace equal opportunity in a serious way. We strive to be a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. Scientific discovery is in our DNA and the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be; diversity fuels innovation!
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates during all aspects of our interview process.
Blue cross blue shield
Choice of 2 BCBS plans; fully-covered with higher deductible, not fully-covered with lower-deductible. HSA, Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability.
Managed financial service, unmatched.
Maternity and paternity leave
12 weeks paid leave, inclusive of adoption or foster care.
Work from home
Flexible paid time off
In addition to 11 celebrated holidays.
Chef in hq office
Membership to gym
Funded conference attendance
Descartes Labs at a glance
Descartes Labs focuses on Internet, Consumer Goods, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Development Platforms. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Santa Fe. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Descartes Labs has raised $58.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019.