Daye exists to bridge the gender gap in medical research
Design Engineering Manager£50k – £60k
Daye is looking for a talented, dedicated Design Engineering Manager to lead the development of its new products and custom machines.
Title: Design Engineering Manager
Compensation: £50-60K per annum + £18,000 in options
Start date: ASAP
Required skills and abilities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment, iterating designs quickly;
- Excellent people manager, with a proven track record of leading effective, motivated teams and commercially successful projects;
- Comfortable working with projects in the R&D phase, dealing with ambiguity and shifting priorities;
- Driven by creating positive social and environmental impact;
- Entrepreneurial in spirit with experience in startup or startup-like environments;
- Comfortable in providing and receiving direct, honest feedback;
- A love for learning, personal and professional development;
- An artistic sensibility and a love for female-centered design.
- Technical background (i.e. mechanical engineering, design engineering, automation engineering, product design, industrial design);
- Strong ability to solve difficult design challenges;
- Experience designing electro-mechanical systems and comfortable specifying and sourcing parts, materials and tools;
- Proficient at hands-on iterative prototyping;
- Proficient at CAD modeling (preferably Solidworks);
- Comfortable with project management tools and systems like Asana, Hive, Objectives Key Results (OKRs);
Nice to have
- Good understanding of electronics and automation
- Experience designing and building industrial machinery
- Comfortable developing traceability matrices, FMEA, QFD
- Work experience within ISO 13485
- Managing a sustainable supply chain
- Strong background in material science innovation or design for sustainability
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead concurrent projects and manage interdisciplinary teams of designers and engineers to deliver great work within scope, schedule and budgets.
- Liaise with the management team to define the project requirements, scopes and objectives as well as timelines and budgets.
- Act as a point of communication and manage internal and external stakeholders for the team’s projects.
- Assist the strategic planning and development of the company.
- Scale the Design Engineering and Sustainability capabilities in line with the growth of the company.
- Oversee the development of new products and associated materials to continually disrupt the female healthcare industry.
- Ensure that Daye’s products and machines can be made accessible to women and entrepreneurs in a broad range of socio-economic contexts around the world as the company establishes itself as a key international player.
- Lead the design and development of Daye’s machines and products to meet the company’s manufacturing needs, while ensuring robustness and scalability.
- Lead the design and development of performance tests and test-rigs for our product prototypes and machine components.
- Manage the relationships with automation companies supporting Daye in the industrialisation of its processes.
- Strive to develop products with the lowest environmental impact possible, and continually implement measures to improve the company’s sustainability standards.
- Ensure that Daye is compliant with its Environmental Policy, including tracking, reducing and offsetting the company’s GHG emissions, and maximising the use of natural materials while minimising microplastic pollution.
- Support the implementation of a company-wide ISO 13485 Quality Management System.
- Ensure long term Certification status and regulatory compliance.
Daye is an R&D-focused startup, building a comprehensive platform for female health.
In February this year, we launched our first two products - the organic tampon, re-imagined for increased absorbency and sustainability; and the clinically validated CBD tampon. Since Feb, they’ve been used by over 10K people.
Recently, we also introduced our third product - a ProViotic bacteria designed to beat recurring vaginal infections.
We are a team of 25 based in Bermondsey, where we have set up production facilities. R&D and design engineering are at the heart of Daye, and we’re currently looking to expand our team so we can achieve our goal of transforming the experience of female health.
The nature of work at Daye is fast-paced. So far, the company has been growing at rapid speeds and we expect this to continue. Daye has raised $8M from leading investors such as Khosla, Index, Kindred and Silicon Valley Bank.
Daye at a glance
Daye focuses on Healthcare, E-Commerce, Digital Health, and Female Living And Lifestyle. Their company has offices in New York City and London. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees.