A self-driving car service designed for the cities we love
Engineering Manager - Release Management
We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
*If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us. *
The AV Behavioral Diagnosis Team is responsible for doing the first technical analysis of all AV behavioral issues on the road. They are responsible for translating anecdotal reports or high level metrics into something actionable by engineering and Technical Product Managers. This requires a broad knowledge of the entire system and the technical depth to add value to engineering. We are looking for someone who knows how to lead this highly effective team and help them to deliver on this mission. This person needs to be just as comfortable talking about the planning robotic subsystem as they are with how the metrics are calculated.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical and understand the challenges their teams are facing. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
What you'll be doing:
- Effectively drive engineering by distilling complex analysis into actionable reports
- Manage and improve field issue analysis for all AV behavioral reports
- Scale analysis coverage and quality with automation, tooling and engineering partnerships
- Build systems to continuously improve the skill set and AV knowledge of the team
- Align priorities with many cross functional stakeholders (TPMs, Engineering, Legal, Data Science, Data analytics, Ground Truth and Executive Leadership)
- Effectively present data driven analysis to executive leadership
- Work with Engineering Director(s) and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
- Foster a healthy, collaborative culture and high-output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
What you must have:
- 4+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support scalable production systems.
- Experience performing risk assessment and issue prioritization of complex systems
- Experience defining process automation and scaling strategies and driving its execution.
- Self motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve.
- BS or MS in Engineering or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills.
- Mix of hands-on skills and management experience in mission-critical product development environments
- Strong cross functional communication, collaboration and stakeholder management
- Ability to learn quickly, starting with little information and quickly becoming an expert in your domain
- Experience building test plans and test cases
- Experience building teams from the ground up.
- Experience with Python, SQL or reading C++.
- Experience root causing robotics failures
- Strong analytics background and able to drive data driven decisions
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
*We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.*
4% 401k match
Paid parental leave
Healthy catered lunches
Monthly gym stipend
Monthly social events
Quarterly offsites & working retreats
Family expansion stipend
Cruise at a glance
Cruise focuses on Automotive, Robotics, Transportation, Software, and Hybrid Vehicles. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Cruise has raised $16.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2016.