Software Engineer - PHP
We are hiring a Software Engineer with experience in PHP to join our talented engineering team in Cardiff. We’re going through an exciting growth period enabling great businesses to succeed through equity crowdfunding, and as a Software Engineer at Crowdcube, you have the opportunity to help define and shape that experience for entrepreneurs and investors alike.
Who we are:
Crowdcube was inspired by an unshakable belief in entrepreneurs that dream big, push at the edges and want to make a difference. Our mission is to make funding accessible for everyone, helping to fuel the next generation of business who want to leave a mark on the world.
Since founding in 2011, we’ve successfully funded over 1,000 crowdfunding campaigns with brands from across the globe, such as Monzo, BrewDog, Grind and Cowboy.
What we stand for:
We believe in a culture of curiosity. We love new thinking and big ideas that challenge the status quo. We know success is rarely free; it’s hard-fought and a struggle that often requires grit, tenacity and hard work. We value the power of people and know that we’re stronger together. We adore ambition, whatever it may be, to make a difference, to have an impact.
We’re on the hunt for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. Are you with us?
What you will be doing:
Our aim as a company is to continue building our product and expand our share of the equity fundraising market. In engineering, we're building a secure, scalable and robust system that powers one of the world’s largest equity crowdfunding platforms so we need to enable our team to deliver quickly and safely on our ambitious plans.
Our engineers work in small product focused feature teams where collaboration is key. Our platform is primarily PHP/Nginx/MySQL but we are advocates of using the right tools for the job. We also run React/TypeScript and other technologies depending on the problem we want to solve, and AWS/Ansible/Terraform/Docker/Kubernetes to package and run our services.
We hire for good judgement and trust you to contribute to discussions and decisions that determine what is being built and how.
What you could be working on:
We want to delight our community of investors and entrepreneurs so this could mean reinventing our investor experience by making it more personalised using AI, machine learning and backend APIs, or it could mean ensuring our investors continue to use the most up to date payment methods, or it could mean creating more tools that will empower our entrepreneurs and help them with their fundraising campaigns.
Ideally you will:
- Be proficient in PHP (Laravel or Symfony) and ObjectOriented in general
- Have practical experience of API design, REST/RPC, and knowledge of OAuth2
- Have knowledge of message queues, RabbitMQ in particular
- Have a keen eye for testing, performance and clean code
- Ability to write clean (understandable), robust (reliable) and efficient (well-designed) code
You will also be:
- An excellent communicator, who actively listens and shows empathy, with an ability to influence both technical and non technical audiences
- Open-minded and comfortable questioning the status quo, coming up with new solutions and considerate of others'
- Enthusiastic and positive, with a bias to action
- A team player! We're all in this together so be supportive and understanding
We'd also love this but it's not a necessity:
- Startup experience
- Finance (equity/shares/share register) knowledge
- Any OPS experience
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, conferences, subscriptions to online courses, and participation in hackathons. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- Salary 35K - 45K DOE
- EMI Options
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA
- Life Insurance Scheme
- Access to Sunlight - a learning & development platform with a £1000 training budget per year!
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings and bi-monthly company socials.
- Company perks such as fruit, snacks and weekly office beers
- Company outings and activities (this year’s fun included a trip to a gin distillery, karaoke, charity football match, Square Mile Relay, bowling, BBQs)
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, a take-home code task, and a half-day on-site interview. There aren’t any trick questions and the coding task has been set based on projects the team has actually worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.
Crowdcube at a glance
Crowdcube focuses on Financial Services, Business Services, and Crowdfunding. Their company has offices in London and Exeter. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Crowdcube has raised $25.8M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2015.