Universal access to the world's best education
Senior Software Engineer (Toronto Canada)$140k – $180k
Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 48 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 2,200 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
The Content Platform team works on the fundamental building blocks for Coursera's course experience. This experience is 2-sided: learners want to learn by engaging actively with material and in many cases, earn a credential supported by rigorous and robust assessments, while content-creation partners want to author and grade content efficiently and effectively, with tools and data providing a feedback loop that allows them to create high-quality content. As a platform-focused team, we seek impact by building a customizable experience that can be used for a wide range of users.
- Design and implement scalable systems and infrastructures
- Measure your work thoroughly, analyze results, and generate hypotheses to drive new product changes through A/B testing
- Setup monitoring and testing of your APIs and services to better understand real time health of your products
- 3+ years of experience working in a relevant software engineering role
- Expertise in designing highly-scalable and performant micro-services and storage layers using common frameworks, languages, and infrastructure (e.g. Java, Play/Scala, MySql, Cassandra, Solr, Kafka)
- Comfortable working in a fast-moving team environment (we deploy many times a day!)
- Data-driven and strongly motivated by success and learnings through experiments and metrics analysis
Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
Competitive salary and meaningful equity
Open vacation policy — take time off when you need it
Delicious lunch, dinner, and snacks every day
Free access to courses and fully sponsored master's degrees to help you grow
Frequent Make-A-Thons to work on your own projects outside your day-to-day
Coursera at a glance
Coursera focuses on Mobile, Internet, Education, Enterprises, and Content. Their company has offices in New York, London, Mountain View, Toronto, and Gurugram. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Coursera has raised $532.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2019.