Discover home trends in your market
Senior Data Engineer
Compass is building the first modern end-to-end real estate platform by integrating agents, buyers and sellers through technology. Before Compass, no one has achieved the blend of the Natural Intelligence that hundreds of thousands of enterprising real estate agents bring to this market, with the Artificial Intelligence that cloud, mobile and AI technologies enable. As one of the fastest growing technology companies of our generation, in an industry larger than any other, we have an opportunity and obligation to build a world-class engineering team and the operating platform that will transform the real estate industry. In 2019 we tripled the size of our Product & Engineering team, and are searching for creative and inspiring colleagues at all levels of the engineering organization to join us as we continue to expand in 2020. As a Senior Data Engineer at Compass, you will be responsible for helping to build the data-driven decision-making culture throughout the organization. You’ll work as part of a rapidly growing team in a fast-paced environment. You will be responsible for designing and managing large-scale, real-time analytical systems that impact multiple functions and teams across the organization. You will have an opportunity to work with emerging technologies, while driving analytical solutions end-to-end. You will empower the development of data-powered product features, real-time analytics and artificial intelligence. You are someone who loves data and analytics, strives to constantly learn new and fast-developing data technologies, and demonstrate passion about shipping high-quality software. At Compass You Will:
- Design, develop, and implement the infrastructure that elevates data-driven decision-making and machine learning for our proprietary real estate technology
- Work with the enterprise business systems that facilitate end to end experience of real estate transactions
- Design and deliver flexible and scalable data solutions collecting process-level external and internal data and transforming it into enterprise wide data lake, denormalized data marts from which operational and process metrics and analytics can be reliably generated
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience with a major cloud provider, for instance, AWS
- 4+ years of experience building data infrastructure using utilities such as Kafka, Airflow, Spark, Cassandra, etc.
- 4+ years of Data Warehousing experience, building ETL data pipes for populating dimensional marts
- Familiarity with API design patterns (oAuth, tokens, JSON)
- Familiarity with data encoding libraries, such as Avro, Protobuf, or Thrift
- Experience with supporting Data Science and ML teams; experience supporting notebook environments for analytics/data science teams (Jupyter, Zeppelin, DataBricks)
- 5+ years of data intensive programming in your language of choice. Python, Scala, Clojure preferred
- Good understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Familiarity with dimensional data modeling
- Experience with version control, scalable code deployment (Git, Jenkins)
- Highly productive developing and deploying in a Linux environment
- Strong business communication skills
- Strong drive to constantly learn and keep up to speed with the new data technologies
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Compass at a glance
Compass focuses on Mobile, Real Estate, Local, and Curated Web. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, Seattle, and Washington DC. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Compass has raised $748M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2017 at a valuation of $2.2B.