Smooth streaming, seamless browsing, and super fast uploads
Common Networks was founded on the idea that everyone should have a choice for fast, affordable access to broadband internet. Right now, most homes in the U.S. don't. In fact, 62% of homes live in a monopoly broadband market. High-speed access unlocks all the superpowers on the internet. When it works, it can be a great leveling force across the world, giving everyone access to educational tools, entertainment, immediate translations, or even medical care that they wouldn’t otherwise have.
Common Networks provides suburban neighborhoods with internet using wireless technology. We interconnect homes in a neighborhood, creating a mesh network between homes and our fiber internet sources. A whole community can then have fast and reliable internet service with only a few locations needing fiber access.
As our first Data Scientist, you will own our entire data pipeline, from instrumentation and extraction to analytical presentations to the executive team. Building Internet infrastructure is expensive and our business model relies on leveraging data to find as many efficiencies as possible. To that end, you’ll work with Product to find creative ways to reduce hardware costs, with Growth to squeeze every last conversion out of our onboarding funnel, with Engineering to discern network-wide ramifications of minute changes to router kernel parameters, with Coverage to sketch out the best buildings to target when we launch new markets, and with Operations to identify process breaks before they show up in our top-level metrics.
The ideal candidate is passionate about democratizing our data and eager to wear many hats -- one day might entail installing Tableau and coaching stakeholders on best practices with the new BI tool, while another might involve changing our backend to emit that one metric that’s going to drastically simplify the analysis you’re trying to run. Our entire stack runs on GCP, with BigQuery as our data warehouse and all of our backend written in golang on Google’s Appengine -- bonus points if you come in with experience in those technologies, but we’d also be thrilled to invest in a great candidate that hasn’t worked with those exact products.
What you do
- Build and maintain dashboards for core operational metrics (e.g. network reliability, growth funnel)
- Own the methodologies behind how we measure ourselves and create new metrics as the business evolves
- Clean and organize our data warehouse, manage scheduled aggregations, and expose rich views of data to stakeholders
- Run your own investigations into our trickiest problems, finding approachable ways to present and visualize your findings to the rest of the company
- Implement simple changes to our codebase when necessary -- you don’t let yourself get blocked on engineering
- Chart out Common’s data roadmap, striking the right balance between quick-and-dirty analysis vs. building out robust, scalable data flows.
- BS with 5+ years of professional experience in a Data Scientist or Data Analyst role
- Solid programming skills in at least one language in addition to excellent SQL skills
- Experience working with and manipulating large, complex datasets.
- Experience solving non-routine analysis problems, choosing the appropriate analytical methods and carrying the entire analysis from initial data gathering and requirements specification to final reporting and stakeholder presentation
- Experience building, managing and organizing ETLs and data pipelinesExperience working with stakeholders to produce golden data datasets and clear views of common data needs
- Excited to work in a startup environment on a small team; creative, resourceful, comfortable in a fast-moving environment. Excited to take on a wide range of responsibilities and cover many different roles loosely aligned around Data.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction with a willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Clear, logical, and thorough in written and verbal communication
Common Networks at a glance
Common Networks focuses on Internet, Entertainment, Communications Hardware, Communications Infrastructure, and Bay Area, Ca. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, and San Leandro. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Common Networks has raised $34.25M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2018.