Color Of Change helps you do something real about injustice
Software Engineer (Full Stack)$105k – $105k
*Accepting applicants from Washington, DC / New York, NY / Oakland, CA / Los Angeles, CA.
About Color Of Change
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society.
Role Summary & Background
Nobody is currently building software tools specifically designed to help Black people and their allies win social change campaigns. As Color Of Change expands its staff significantly in 2020, we are building in-house engineering capabilities because many of the solutions we need do not currently exist as off-the-shelf software. Some of these software products will support our internal team by making their workflows easier, while others have our members and volunteers as end-users.
- Define and communicate functional requirements that fit within Color of Change’s brand guidelines
- Build high-quality, reusable, and well-documented code that can be used across different projects
- Build integrations with third-party vendors
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Follow strong processes on unit and integration testing
- Deliver code on a timely basis within the team’s development framework
- Manage QA process and ensure an overall positive user experience
- Collaborate with other developers, designers, system admins, and campaigners to improve tools
- Establish user feedback loops to inform future updates
- Consistently identify opportunities to improve user conversion rates through better user experiences
- Build trust by being intentional about introducing stakeholders to development concepts
The ideal candidate should have:
- Experience building web or mobile applications on both the front and back-end
- Excellent critical-thinking and problem-solving skills to solve issues that appear when updating frameworks to new versions of libraries or bugs that emerge when moving code from development to staging and production environments
- Track record of delivering high-quality, reusable code on time
- A working knowledge of DevOps tools like Git, Ansible, Docker etc.
- Experience using RESTful or SOAP APIs
- Familiarity with SQL databases (e.g. MySQL, Postgres, others), web servers (e.g. nginx, Apache)
- Strong understanding of how to set up common AWS products like EC2, S3 and RDS to deploy products
- Understanding of key design principles, including best practices around responsive design
- The ability to communicate clearly with non-technical people
- Commitment to the mission of Color of Change: to help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America
Our tech stack includes:
- Field tools like TargetSMART, NGP VAN, and EveryAction
- Digital tools like ThruText, ThruTalk, ActionKit, and Google / Facebook ads
- Data warehousing tools like Civis Platform
- Dashboard tools like Periscope and Tableau
- AWS products like EC2, S3, and RDS
- You'll likely be building products that use ActionKit's REST API, Civis Platform, as well as microsites built with various platforms including Django or Express.js.
Prior experience with any of the systems commonly used in the progressive movement is helpful, but not required. We are strong believers that if you have the fundamental technical skills required above but lack domain experience, a hungry desire to learn is a compelling substitute.
Applications are due June 10, 2020.
The salary for the Software Engineer role is $105,000. This is a full-time exempt position. Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.
Color of Change at a glance
Color of Change focuses on Nonprofits and Advocacy. Their company has offices in Oakland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.
You can view their website at https://colorofchange.org/