Color Of Change helps you do something real about injustice
Data Analyst$72k – $72k
*Accepting applicants from Washington, DC / New York, NY / Oakland, CA / Los Angeles, CA.
About Color Of Change
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society.
Role Summary & Background
As Color Of Change expands its staff significantly in 2020, we are undertaking a major expansion of our data, analytics, and engineering capabilities to turbocharge our campaigns for change. Our electoral campaigns, grassroots lobbying, and culture change work is generating a flood of data, some of which we are currently using to inform our work. But we’re just scratching the surface -- so much more is possible. That’s why we are making major investments in our data operation to ensure more and more of our data can be analyzed, and then leveraged, to guide our strategic and tactical decisions.
Strong candidates will excel in data analysis that leads to concrete recommendations for our program. By supporting experiments, conducting exploratory analyses, and presenting findings and recommendations in digestible formats, this role powers the organization's innovation in campaigning.
- Use SQL and other data exploration/query methods to ask and answer specific questions that can help the team improve the impact of day to day work
- Translate data into easy-to-read spreadsheets, dashboards, and visualizations to provide ongoing analysis and insights for our digital campaigning program
- Use internal and external data sources to find trends, spot patterns, and highlight opportunities for our digital programs
- Support the testing and optimization analysis, reporting, and planning processes to help our team learn what works, what doesn’t, and how to establish current best practices
- Ensure that experiments are methodologically sound, including evaluating sample sizes, statistical significance, and confidence intervals.
- Respond to a range of priority data support requests from our digital campaigning team; provide friendly, helpful, and timely support on technical issues for staff at all levels of technical knowledge
- Manage and prioritize issues and requests, provide timely updates on the status of requests, and escalate requests to the Digital Data Director as appropriate
- Manage data quality by working across our team and campaigns to make sure we have the best, cleanest, and most up-to-date information about our supporters and their actions (source codes, content tags, etc.)
- Support the development and implementation of coding structures, data conventions, and organizational processes to strengthen data quality
- Act as the organization’s resource on deliverability best practices for our email program by managing the reports and tools that assess how successfully our emails are getting delivered
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background writing and using SQL queries for data management and support
- Solid command of SQL: can combine multiple tables to create complex data sets
- Comfort writing formulas and manipulating spreadsheets to analyze datasets
- An approach for how to spot when data looks wrong, and how to figure out why
- A skill for turning a large amount of data into easy-to-read reports and visualizations that are attractive and user-friendly
- A reputation for supporting staff with data requests in a kind, approachable, empathetic way
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with optimization testing principles; can explain concepts such as random sampling and statistical uncertainty to a non-technical audience
- A perspective on how racial and class disparity are apparent throughout technology and data, as well as an eagerness to engage with the team to identify solutions
- Commitment to the mission of Color of Change: to help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America
- Prior experience with CRM tools, particularly those used in the progressive movement, is helpful, but not required (ActionKit, ActionNetwork, NationBuilder,etc.). Similarly, experience with business intelligence tools (Tableau, Periscope) or scripting languages (Python, Ruby, etc.) are both helpful, but not required. We are strong believers that if you have the fundamental technical skills required above but lack domain experience, a hungry desire to learn is a compelling substitute.
Applications are due June 10, 2020
The salary for the Data Analyst position is $72,000. This is a full-time exempt position. Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.
Color of Change at a glance
Color of Change focuses on Nonprofits and Advocacy. Their company has offices in Oakland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.
You can view their website at https://colorofchange.org/