The Easiest Way to Learn to Code
Product Design Intern - Summer 2020No salary
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
As a Product Design Intern at Codecademy, you'll learn our product development process from start to finish. From brainstorming new features to designing usable flows and beautiful interfaces, you'll exercise your full range of product, interaction, and visual design skills on a daily basis. You'll enjoy ownership of the features you work on. You'll partner with engineering, community, and data analysis to build and iterate on various design challenges in our product. We're looking for someone who sweats the details and is ready to tackle any design challenge that comes up between concepting and launching a product. Your work will empower millions of people worldwide to learn how to code and create something. Together, we can redesign education and create the best online learning experience.
This is a full-time, paid internship, starting June 2020. We’re flexible on exact start date and internship length.
*WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING *
- Collaborate with product, engineering, curriculum, data science, and marketing to continue to elevate the learning experience
- Utilize and contribute to on our design system, Gamut, in collaboration with engineering and design peers
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into congruent scenarios, usable flows, and simple, intuitive interfaces
- Advocate for the Learner in every part of the product you touch and be their voice within the product development process
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A human-centered design process that produces thoughtful and engaging product design work
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to soundly discuss design decisions
- Maintain a Visual design point of view while being able to work within a structured product design system
- Proficiency with Sketch, and prototyping tools
- A passion to continually learn and help others in their educational pursuits
*NICE TO HAVE *
- Experience designing with code
- Comfortable using motion design tools both for prototyping and product assets
- Experience using Abstract in your workflow
- Experience in design roles adjacent to Product Design
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.