The Easiest Way to Learn to Code
Senior DevOps Engineer
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy’s Infrastructure & Platform team is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join the team. This team is responsible for the infrastructure and operations to deliver our service to millions of users learning to code. As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will work closely with the developers to build, maintain, and lead a stable, scalable and secure infrastructure. This infrastructure is key to ensure the availability of our platform for the production of content and delivery of our educational experience globally and to millions of learners at any given moment. We are currently transitioning to a Service Oriented Architecture and are looking for someone to collaborate with us to expedite the development of supporting tools and implement best practices.
What You’ll Do
- Design, implement and support production infrastructure at scale in an AWS environment
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in production
- Partner with rest of engineering team to detect and mitigate future failures
- Support security initiatives through internal audit, hardening AWS accounts, user management, secret management, and coordinating external audit
- Audit, augment, and maintain the developer experience, including local developer environment, continuous integration, and deployment workflow.
- Collaborate with software engineers to make architectural decisions to enable a scalable, stable and secure infrastructure
- Automate provisioning and configuration of production systems using Chef, Terraform and Docker
- Deploy and maintain monitoring and alerting resources
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years of experience implementing and maintaining AWS services including: EC2, Elasticache, Redshift, Cloudfront, DynamoDB, RDS
- Experience with ECS, SQS, SES, Route 53
- 3+ years of experience implementing and maintaining NoSQL and SQL databases
- Experience with Go, Docker, Ruby on Rails, React, NodeJS
- Experience working closely with development teams
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Ruby, etc)
- Previous experience handling technical debt
- Previous experience as a system administrator
- Previous experience at a top 100 web property's DevOps Team
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures
Medical, dental, & vision insurance
Unlimited paid time off
Daily catered lunches with the team
Citibike & wellness
Citibike corporate membership and a wellness reimbursement
Professional development budget
Employee Assistance Program
Funded affinity groups
Flexible work schedule
Codecademy at a glance
Codecademy focuses on Education and Curated Web. Their company has offices in New York City. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Codecademy has raised $42.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2016.