Insurance Product Director (State P&L Operations)
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is the Insurance Product Director/AVP at Clearcover?
We are seeking an Insurance Product Management leader to provide countrywide management of our core lines of businesses and advance Clearcover’s growth and profit objectives. In this role you will be accountable for designing and managing personal lines insurance products at a national level. You will collaborate with product and technology teams to develop, implement and monitor insurance products, strategies, and systems that balance and optimize growth, profitability and operating costs.
About the role
The Insurance Product Director/AVP is a key member of the Insurance Organization (reporting directly to the Head of Insurance). This role will:
- Help us build an insurance product organization that is willing to think about operations and output from first principles.
- Help create insurance product strategy, drive rapid insurance product development and support all state expansion efforts.
- Share overall P&L responsibility; develop insurance business/product strategies to maximize value creation through sustainable growth and high-quality customer experiences.
- Analyze and monitor insurance product performance to make data-based decisions regarding underwriting, coverage, and pricing to drive continuous improvement.
- Act as a product line expert and maintain a thorough knowledge of product features and benefits, as well as industry product trends; provide product expertise to various internal areas, including product, engineering, growth, and claims.
- Foster competitive intelligence through monitoring of competitor pricing and product activities.
- Monitor compliance issues at the state level and frequently collaborate with internal legal functions on critical audits/exams; with a significant influence on the outcome of the audit / exam resolutions.
- Build relationships with key insurance departments and legislators to facilitate approvals.
- Engage and explore external vendors for products and services that will enhance our current offerings.
- Manage/mentor/develop analysts and product managers.
- 5-10 years progressively more responsible work experience in insurance product management or a related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Solid organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Direct experience applying customer lifetime value concepts to pricing and profitability decisions.
- Exceptional analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills with a deep intellectual curiosity and an ability to make data-based decisions.
- Must be able to lead through influence, rather than authority only. Also must be a team player and able to operate as a “player-coach.”
- Personal lines experience strongly preferred
- A passion for learning and improvement
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation (we hire adults)
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie, too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(k) — even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover at a glance
Clearcover focuses on Financial Services, Artificial Intelligence, Insurance, Software, and Insurtech. Their company has offices in Chicago. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Clearcover has raised $104.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.