A smarter choice for car insurance. Better coverage for less money,
Sr. Software Engineer (Kotlin)
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What’s a Kotlin Backend Engineer?
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Backend Engineer (Kotlin) will work collaboratively with the larger Product and Engineering team to further develop backend services to support customer interactions, third party integrations, claims and other insurance products and systems.
As a company, we take immense pride in being able to engage with our customers in a modern, thoughtful and transparent way. Based on usage and customer satisfaction, we think we’ve done a pretty good job with our technology, but we are really just at the beginning. We have incredible plans for the future and are looking for incredible engineers to help us get there.
What will you do?
- Design, build and maintain our backend applications and infrastructure
- Support production applications including on-call responsibilities
- Own features from start to finish while working with your scrum team to ensure on time delivery with technical excellence and quality
- Collaborate with other teammates to creatively solve problems ranging from scalability and performance to users interface and experience
- Help improve, expand and maintain our acquisition, applicant and customer APIs
- Work with the engineering and product team to help bring the features on our ambitious roadmap to life for our customers
What do you have?
- 4+ years of Software Development experience in a variety of programming languages
- Experience working on a Scrum team
- Professional working experience in the JVM; Kotlin, Scala
- TypeScript knowledge and experience using it either as a frontend, backend or full stack developer
- Strong architecture skills, able to present ideas and implement designs to meet the needs of customers
- Strong understanding of RESTful API conventions
- High standards for quality and attention to detail
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Ability to strike a balance between the needs of today with building towards a greater future
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover at a glance
Clearcover focuses on Financial Services, Artificial Intelligence, Insurance, Software, and Insurtech. Their company has offices in Chicago. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Clearcover has raised $104.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.