A smarter choice for car insurance. Better coverage for less money,
Lead Kotlin Software Engineer
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
Reporting to an Engineering Manager, as the Lead Kotlin Software Engineer you are responsible for technical excellence as well as mentoring and coaching other engineers. You will need to have a deep understanding of the entire architecture as well as for a large section of the codebase. You will partner with Product to understand our technical products and will be accountable for the delivery and support of production systems and features with the highest quality. We are looking for a full stack engineer that is excited to traverse languages. Clearcover uses a variety of technologies including Ruby, Scala, Node and Kotlin. As we look to further evolve and decompose our systems into services, this role will need extensive JVM and ideally Kotlin experience as Kotlin is our preferred service language going forward.
What will you do?
- Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment
- Own and operate large sections of software and systems
- Guides design and delivery through influence and education
- Lead production monitoring and resolution impacts
- Influence work of multiple teams relating to overall engineering group objectives
- Provide technical guidance to other team members
- Coach and mentor other engineers
- Drive continuous process and technology improvements
- Partner with Product to spec out the technical aspects of a feature from inception through delivery
- Write acceptance, integration and unit tests
- Be involved and conduct architecture discussions when necessary
- Collaborate with other leads and engineers on various architecture discussions
- Participate in recruiting of candidates and improvement of the overall interview process
What do you have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant work experience. MS preferred.
- 6+ years’ experience in software design and development
- 4+ years of JVM experience and ideally 3 years of production Kotlin
- Deep understanding of cloud computing principles and practices, experience with production applications in cloud environments. AWS and Kubernetes experience a plus.
- Proven expertise in agile software development
- The ability to anticipate technical issues and industry changes as well as circumvent through thoughtful architectural and design decisions.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Experience with monolithic applications, service oriented distributed applications and preferably experience breaking up the best parts of a monolith into services
- Production experience designing, building and testing web services and APIs
- Experience delivering and supporting Web based, Distributed and Multi-Tier architecture using (Ruby, Scala, Typescript, Node, Java, Kotlin, etc)
- Understanding and experience with functional programming a plus
- Strong knowledge of ReST, Service Oriented Architecture, OAuth, Basic Authentication and PCI.
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into high-level designs and act as a subject matter expert in software design, architecture, implementation, deployment and support across our full platform.
- Proficient in SQL and relational database modeling
- Creativity, fearlessness and an unwavering commitment to putting the customer first
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover at a glance
Clearcover focuses on Financial Services, Artificial Intelligence, Insurance, Software, and Insurtech. Their company has offices in Chicago. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Clearcover has raised $104.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2020.