Better, sustainable materials and chemicals — faster with AI
Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Design and build Citrine’s scalable smart data infrastructure and AI platform powering development & discovery of next-generation materials and chemicals.
At Citrine, we’re changing the way new materials are developed.
We are the industry leader in materials informatics, the application of data-driven methods to materials and chemicals development. Our platform provides data management and AI tools that help our customers rapidly develop better, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at huge manufacturing and materials companies, and researchers at leading universities and government labs. Our platform enables our users to accelerate the development of new materials.
In 2020 Citrine was recognized for technology innovation by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the most promising AI startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Though our technology was originally built by materials scientists, our team now consists of professionals trained in a diverse set of fields, including data science, physics, biology, and computer science. We have offices in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and our customers include Fortune 1000 materials and product companies.
About the Role
You will collaborate with amazing engineers and scientists on user-facing product features that help our customers achieve incredible research breakthroughs. Working at Citrine offers the rare opportunity to collaborate with applied scientists at the leading edge of statistical learning theory and application. Here are a few representative peer-reviewed publications describing research done at Citrine in support of the platform’s AI capabilities:
Assessing the Frontier: Active Learning, Model Accuracy, and Multi-objective Materials Discovery and Optimization (2019). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.03224
Can machine learning identify the next high-temperature superconductor? Examining extrapolation performance for materials discovery (2018). at https://doi.org/10.1039/C8ME00012C
Overcoming data scarcity with transfer learning. (2017). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05099
High-Dimensional Materials and Process Optimization Using Data-Driven Experimental Design with Well-Calibrated Uncertainty Estimates. (2017). at https://doi.org/10.1007/s40192-017-0098-z
Projects you’ll work on
- The next-generation platform for empowering scientists with Citrine’s AI, guiding experimental design to accelerate discovery and lead to research breakthroughs.
- A system for sharing and managing materials data across an enterprise’s researchers, with the goal of fostering collaboration between scientists, reducing experimental waste, and aiding in the management of R&D projects.
- Complex analysis & visualizations that allow our users to gain deeper insights into their data.
What you’ll do
- Build backend services to support product features on the Citrine Platform that puts our core technology in the hands of scientists
- Deploy and support your software & infrastructure in production
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, frequently reviewing code and discussing architecture
- Mentor other developers
- Design high-performance, scalable systems
- Test & analyze the impact and performance of your software
- Work in a multi-functional team on features from concept to delivery
- Scala, Python
- PostgreSQL, Redis, AWS DynamoDB
- AWS Computer Services (EC2, ECS, Fargate, Batch)
Skills and Qualifications
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field of study, or equivalent industry experience
- 5 years of experience writing production software in a team environment
- 1 year of remote engineering experience, if remote
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent Linux fundamentals
- Familiarity with containerization / Docker
- Experience using and automating AWS
- A background in a physical science
Citrine Informatics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Benefits (for exempt, full time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4% of salary
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Equity options within the company
Flexible PTO on top of our 14 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$250 tech allowance
Citrine Informatics at a glance
Citrine Informatics focuses on Analytics, Advanced Materials, Machine Learning, and Big Data. Their company has offices in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Redwood City, and Remote. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.