The world's leading platform for social change
Senior/Staff Backend Engineer (Comms Platform)
Change.org is searching for a Senior/Staff Backend Engineer to contribute to leading the team into finishing the foundational work and expanding into new features for our in-house communications platform. You will be based in San Francisco, California or Remote in the US and will report to our Director of Engineering who is based in Portland, Oregon.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 400m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, 180 staff, and a new revenue model that has grown by 500% in 2 years. We’re growing quickly, and our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India.
We are looking for a Senior/Staff Software Engineer who is great at building, managing and debugging large scale distributed systems. Our team is currently responsible for an in-house communications system that sends users over a billion messages per month and we’re looking for someone to help us make sure every one of those messages is both relevant and timely.
As a key member of our Engineering team, you’ll:
- Architect and build new features and services, maintain existing ones.
- Debug issues across the stack and underlying systems
- Manage scaling performance enhancements
- Help to set technical direction and priorities
- Have to ability to break down ambiguous problems into actionable chunks and then execute on them
- Manage their own priorities and set the pace for a team of engineers to execute successfully on a shared vision
- Performing code reviews and mentoring more junior engineers to level up the team
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- Architecture & Design, Performance: Ability to create robust, scalable, and performant cross-systems architecture and influence architectural decisions in a collaborative environment.
- Planning & Execution: Deconstructing projects into a well-defined action plan, and being responsible for its execution.
- Communication: Communicate early and often, sharing ideas, analysis, and information in a direct, articulate manner. Partner and collaborate effectively cross-functionally.
- Coaching & Mentorship: You’ve helped shape and define other engineers’ growth. Even better if you’ve also been responsible for their growth as their direct manager!
- Experience using Elixir with amplified ability to work on the backend
- Experience working independently with little supervision
- Experience managing uncertainty and ability to keep calm, learn, and move forward in the face of change
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers
Additional experience we are looking for:
- Familiarity with Event Driven Architecture
- Experience building strategic solutions for full team execution
It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list above.
Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. For example, an annual salary of a Senior Software Engineer would be $155,000 USD or Staff Software Engineer would be $182,000 USD in San Francisco. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer below the listed salary for high potential candidates with less experience, or above it for candidates with significantly more experience.
We anticipate moving very quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
-45 min interview with our Recruiter
-1 hour interview with our Director of Engineering
-2.5 hour take home assignment
-3 hour virtual onsite with our Director of Engineering and 2 Engineering Managers
-30 min interview with our CTO
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it - we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.
Change.org at a glance
Change.org focuses on Internet, Non Profit, Curated Web, and Civic Tech. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Washington, Paris, Brooklyn, and Victoria. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Change.org has raised $67M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2014.