Technical Operations Manager$110k – $150k • 0.05% – 0.1%
Do you want to help build a company that strengthens public health, improves the safety of our food and water, fosters research, education, and environmental protection, while making small businesses like craft breweries more successful? If so, we want you on our team.
Chai brings biotechnology into the real world, allowing anyone to perform molecular diagnostics, anywhere. Our solutions are as accurate as a lab test, easy enough for anyone to use, and provide on-site results in an hour.
We're looking to hire a very hands-on Technical Operations Manager to manage our supply chain for hardware and biological reagents, on-site production of scientific instruments, perform sustaining engineering to improve quality and reduce costs, and participate in the manufacturing setup for test kits.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Plan, implement, and manage long term bio-instrument production activities, process improvements, and validations
- Manage day-to-day line operations of on-site hardware instrument production and manufacturing personnel
- Evaluate, select, and manage US and Asian-based vendors and contract manufacturers; maintain good vendor relationships
- Design, modify, scale, and maintain manufacturing processes, potentially include automating biological reagents production
- Generate and review engineering and manufacturing documentation including drawings, schematics, BOMs, SOPs, FAIs, and TMs
- Implement repair procedure to debug, compile, and analyze technical issues
- Manage supply chain, inventory levels, and purchasing via ERP for hardware instruments and biological reagents
- Provide hands-on support of inspection, assembly, and troubleshooting during production
- Proactively implement quality and productivity improvements (reduce COGS, increase efficiency, equipment acquisition)
- Drive performance of NCMRs, root cause analysis, and ECOs
- Work with cost accountants to manage standard costs and variances
Who We're Looking For:
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing Engineering or related field from a reputable institution
- 5+ years of relevant engineering and 2+ years technical operations management experience
- Experienced manager and leader of people
- NPI experience with familiarity of Lean Manufacturing Processes
- Familiarity with SolidWorks, ERP, PLM, and GD&T
- Experience with ISO 13485 and ISO 9001 quality systems
- Demonstrate great working knowledge of DFM with the ability to apply a diverse set of engineering principles to a broad range of assignments
- Comfortable using electro-mechanical test and assembly equipment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Previous experience with start-ups and high volume production a plus
- Familiarity with compliance standards (UL, FCC, CE, CE-IVD, etc.)
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary & equity
- Health/dental/vision insurance for employees, subsidized for family
- 401(k) plan & FSAs
- Flexible vacation policy
- Fully stocked kitchen + catered lunch on Wednesdays
- On-site shower
- MacBook Pro, large display, and whatever else you need
We offer comprehensive health, dental, vision, and FSA plans for employees and their dependents.
We offer a 401(k), so you can invest in your future.
Own a part of what you're building.
Weekly team lunch on Wednesday's and fully stocked kitchen
Team outings to fun destinations.
Tools and hardware
The latest tech and equipment at your desk and in our labs.
Chai at a glance
Chai focuses on Biotechnology, Hardware, Life Sciences, Medical, and Medical Devices. Their company has offices in Santa Clara. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, Chai has raised $5M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2017.