Cookware without the chemicals -- on the search for early employees!
Product Development Manager (Physical Product)$50k – $110k • 0.01% – 0.05%
We built Caraway with one simple belief: everyone deserves to live a healthy lifestyle at a fair price through high performing and easy to use kitchen products. As such, we seek to provide our own brand of exceptional home and kitchen products direct to our customers online. Through beautiful, eye-catching designs to innovative storage solutions, Caraway is reimagining the industry.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Product Development Manager role will be one of our early hires at venture backed direct-to-consumer kitchenware brand Caraway. As the lead for physical product development, you will own our product development roadmap and strategy, and will coordinate the journey of new products from their infancy to their launch. This role will own all aspects of category performance: from building a scalable supply chain & increasing margin through to end-to-end new product launch; continuous innovation on our core product; building legal protection & sustainability. You’ll be driving brand vision and new concepts to life with innovative techniques, materials, and an uncompromising focus on the highest quality and aesthetic outcomes in a way that excites our consumers. You will have the opportunity to work with our industrial design firm, internal engineers, graphic designers as well as manufacturing partners in Asia and the US.
This is an incredible opportunity to join a company pre-launch, taking the business from early stage concept to market. The role will be based at our headquarters in New York City and will report directly to our CEO.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Own end-to-end new product development, from market & product research, competitive analysis, timeline development, design, sourcing, costing and packaging, and pricing from ideation through launch.
- Build and manage schedules and timelines for new product development. - - Manage time spent on projects by design firms, engineers, factories, and graphic designers.
- Meet with design firms to discuss products in development and provide feedback on design and concept direction with regards to pricing concerns and feature set requirements.
- Source and communicate with factories to negotiate pricing, terms, and manufacturing capabilities during various points in the product development cycle for both new and existing products.
- Own forecasting & capacity planning, as well as sampling and manufacturing lead-times.
- Drive continuous improvements of existing products, with a “no improvement is too small” attitude to material and designs that both enhance quality and optimize costs.
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with suppliers that treat them as part of the Caraway family and journey.
- Set up scalable and risk adverse supplier base, including dual-sourcing all critical components, new supplier qualification, performance reviews, volume allocation & cost negotiations.
- Proactively build and manage our IP portfolio and work with manufacturers to commercialize innovations and protect our products.
- Work hand in hand with the Caraway QC team to establish priorities and communicate with factories to resolve issues.
- Enforce Caraway’s brand values, aesthetic and quality standards across all of our products and packaging.
- Partner cross-functionally with all teams to ensure brand & strategy alignment and build strong feedback loops.
- Have a B.A. (MBA is a plus) and 2 - 7 years in consumer product development and sourcing.
- Experience in home and kitchen product development is a plus.
- Must have experience managing suppliers in Asia and traveling to factories.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully developing the product vision and requirements for successful product launches and lifecycles
- Knowledgeable about negotiating with overseas providers and what drives vendors’ cost structures
- An uncompromising obsession with high-quality work
- Strong aesthetic sensibility and eye for good design
- A love of details and a desire to always move fast and synergize speed
- Superior organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload autonomously
- Not afraid to question the status quo
- A fun, excitable personality and excellent sense of humor
COMPENSATION & PERKS:
We offer competitive start-up rates with access to a senior leadership team.
A competitive salary and equity options
We invest in your career and opportunities for growth
High-quality home and kitchen products
Top tier benefits and flexible vacation policy
A comfortable open-plan office in Chelsea with a kitchen stocked with your favorite snacks