Making the world happier and healthier through the superpower of Calm
VP of Finance/Controller
We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world. Over 75 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox). Mission
As VP Finance at Calm, you will drive the metrics, processes and forecasting to support our growth and decision making, ultimately impacting the strategic growth of the company and ensuring its financial health. This role will lead the finance and accounting functions and the related systems and ensure that the quality and accuracy of financial reporting are maintained to our company and investor standards and in accordance with applicable accounting standards. You will build and manage a team to execute on the FP&A and business operations required for success. You will be a finance puzzle solver and identify how financial and operating performance can be maximized and foresee how business decisions and customer requests impact the business’ performance.
The short term will be focused on (a) designing and managing the annual financial planning and budgeting processes, (b) setting up the necessary reporting and financial controls, and strategic planning for key financial inflection points; (c) lead the audit process and drive the audits to close, including managing the relationship with the outside audit team; and (d) work with the product and business development teams to design product structures and corresponding international and domestic pricing. The medium term will involve designing and building accounting and billing operations for differing pricing structures as we move towards Enterprise launch, modeling to support future financings as the analytical backbone of our business development team, and provide partnership to each business lead in developing and executing plans to grow revenue and profit in each functional area of the Company.
Monthly metrics and reporting to broader team to facilitate cross-team communication
- Work with our Director of Finance to further develop and monitor the team's monthly review process, to ensure completeness, accuracy, and frugality
- Drive the quarterly/annual budgeting and planning process, as well as long-range financial planning.
- Guide monthly/quarterly variance analyses and identify areas for improved cost efficiency or areas for increased investment to maximize likelihood of success while weighing the tradeoffs of time and money and driving accountability
- Further develop and deepen quarterly reporting for Board meetings
Develop long term financial strategies and work with executive team to drive short and long term sustainable growth and accurate forecasting
Lead the finance team to identify and implement processes and systems that support future scaling
Manage the growth and hiring for the finance team
Oversee accounting, international and domestic payroll, benefits and insurance, 401k program, tax and audit preparation - interface with external back office firms to ensure compliance
Support our small but growing accounting team in developing billing operations process and systems to support B2B accounting needs
Cash management and investment policy oversight
Oversee, manage and advise on cap table and equity grants and support Investor Relations
Competencies You love working on complex business problems and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced and feedback-driven environment. You're highly self-motivated, have a stellar work ethic and you're looking for the right company to support your growth. If this sounds like a good opportunity, we’d love to meet you.
- Experience managing and building financial teams
- Experience working cross functionally and an ability to communicate complex financial concepts and their subsequent impact and requirements articulately across all functions
- Thrives in an environment with minimal structure and process
- Self starter with a strategic approach who is comfortable implementing and championing process where required
- Comfortable with rolling up your sleeves working on both strategy and subsequent execution
- Strong financial reporting skills, (both at a leadership level and company wide)
- Strong accounting background
- Strong audit and assurance experience
- Strong knowledge of the governance, risk and control processes associated with companies looking to scale
- Stakeholder management skills up to executive level
- Minimum 4 years experience in a senior financial role with a high level of responsibility for financial planning and analysis
- Experience with Paid user acquisition, (e.g. CAC, LTV, etc.)
- Worked in companies with 80 people plus, or smaller teams with high revenue
- Experience of both a B2B and B2C financial environment
- Experience with ASC606
- Experience working in a fast paced startup
- Knowledgeable on corporate taxation
- Familiar with transfer pricing agreements.
- Familiar with inventory management and inventory accounting
- Experience in the tech space
- Experience with scaling
- CPA certification
- Experience raising VC financing
- High EQ and communication skills
- Experience working with outsourced accounting functions and experience in-housing work from outsourced teams\
- Experience scaling a finance team to operate at public Company rhythm and cadence Benefits
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
100% covered medical, dental & vision insurance
Competitive salary & equity
Downtown sf office
Calm at a glance
Calm focuses on Mobile, Personal Health, Apps, Health and Wellness, and Leisure. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Calm has raised $115.993M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2019 at a valuation of $1B.