Making the world happier and healthier through the superpower of Calm
Sr. Legal Counsel (Content, Brand Partnerships, IP)
We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world. Over 75 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox). Mission
Calm’s content library and the languages in which such content is offered are expanding along with the growing number of high quality opportunities to gain brand exposure. Thus, the corresponding number of contracts is climbing and the nature of the branding relationships is growing more complex.
Copyright, trademark and rights of publicity legal issues underlie those contracts, so experience with these legal issues is crucial. Relationships that require Calm content to be distributed elsewhere (other than the Calm Platform) would benefit from experience with a variety of distribution and publication platforms/channels.
We envision that the priorities of this role will primarily be focused on working with the Content team (meditation, music, Sleep Stories and Masterclasses/Daily Coach) and with the Partnerships team. The day-to-day work includes drafting, reviewing, negotiating and finalizing licensing agreements, consulting agreements and other general commercial agreements. You’ll be responsible for maintaining and developing new template agreements to stay current on new licensing models to ensure that the templates, current and future agreements include the ideal provisions to meet the business’ minimum requirements as well as consult with decision makers to inform their business strategy decisions. You will assist with and advise on deal structures and negotiations. You’ll also work on Calm’s procurement and professional services agreements that support Calm’s offices.
- Draft, review and negotiate license agreements, MSAs, amendments and statements of work and draft and maintain templates of the same for all new and existing Content sources (narrators, writers/authors, meditation and motivational instructors, artists, musicians and composers) and Marketing and Partnerships brands and companies
- Work with internal teams (Product, Partnerships, Marketing and User Acquisition) to inform future and current legal tactics, template provisions and the legal work queue
- Support Calm’s legal needs generally Competencies
- An attorney licensed to practice law in California located in the San Francisco Bay Area that can work without an assistant/word processor and that can work somewhat independently
- Have 5+ years of in-house legal experience that is a combination of entertainment industry legal issues (copyright, trademark portfolio management, music publishing, publicity rights) and deep familiarity with software development and app-based and web-based publishing
- A highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment who enjoys being part of multiple teams and can be sensitive to multiple priorities
- An experienced, creative legal writer that can efficiently draft agreements and bespoke provisions that are effective and clear
- Nice to have: proven track record of leading deal negotiations, trademark law experience and portfolio management, experience leveraging contract management systems
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Juggling plates and/or drinking from fire hoses is your best party trick(s)
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Proactive. Will follow up when things aren’t resolved.
- Enthusiasm and passion for quality.
- No ego: must be humble
- Team player, has to be able to work with lots of personalities and be patient
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
100% covered medical, dental & vision insurance
Competitive salary & equity
Downtown sf office
Calm at a glance
Calm focuses on Mobile, Personal Health, Apps, Health and Wellness, and Leisure. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Calm has raised $115.993M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2019 at a valuation of $1B.