Communication and collaboration tools for residential construction
Senior Product Manager$80k – $120k • 0.1% – 0.25%
BuildBook enables residential construction teams (custom home builders and remodelers), and their clients (homeowners) to collaborate more effectively, make better decisions, and simplify the construction process. Builders love us because we help them make more money while making their customers happy. Homeowners love us because we give them a feeling of control and help make renovation less stressful.
We are an early-stage, remote startup with team members in New York, Atlanta, Seattle, and Minneapolis. We have a small, tight-knit team that is laser-focused on a specific customer and a specific problem. We have a rock-solid core product in market, early customers that are raving about us, a mini-brand that punches above its weight, and a big vision to solve a massive problem.
The opportunity at BuildBook to make a lasting impact is huge - the market in the US alone is $540B per year and is made up of over 550,000 small businesses focused on residential construction and remodeling.
About This Role...
As a Senior Product Manager and the first Product hire, you will contribute directly to the success of our pro-facing product in addition to participating in strategic discussions that define the company’s roadmap and trajectory.
You’ll be responsible for maintaining and helping to define the product roadmap, managing agile sprints and team communications, and running a tight build-measure-learn development cycle. You'll effectively articulate new product ideas and concepts to design - through written spec, diagrams and wireframes. You’ll partner closely with engineering to ensure the most impactful ideas are scoped, built, tested, deployed, and iterated on.
This is a full-time position; we are a distributed team, but are only considering candidates who live and work in the continental US.
The shortlist of what you’ll do in this job includes…
- Hit the ground running -- manage the in-flight priorities across multiple products (Web, Android native, iOS native) with existing commitments and deadlines
- Ongoing backlog grooming, prioritization, and management
- Scope, document, and validate roadmapped features to help prioritze them in upcoming sprints
- Know the competition’s features, offerings, value propositions -- and help BuildBook maintain its unique edge in the industry
- Jump right into user research to appreciate and anticipate customer needs
- Work across Engineering, Sales, and Marketing to include stakeholder requirements
- Write product requirements with clear acceptance criteria
- Take over the sprint process right away and become familiar with our backlog and roadmap
- Get acclimated to the available data and start drawing inferences and conclusions that inform product decisions
- Quality assurance for all applications, including feature testing, regression, and release support.
To be considered, you’ll need...
- 5+ years of relevant experience a fast-growth tech startup, at least two years in B2B SaaS space
- Rich knowledge of mobile applications, interfaces, and development/submit/release processes
- Experience product-managing fast-moving Agile teams
- Code competency: a basic understanding of the capabilities and limitations of React, React Native, and related frameworks
- Strong Analytical skills, including the ability to derive insights from data sets, analyze product usage, measure adoption, and understand client needs
- Expert communication skills that can leverage the benefits -- and overcome the drawbacks -- of being a fully distributed product and engineering team
- Experience crafting product requirements and specifications
- Understanding of UI/UX design concepts, principles, best practices, and tools
- An eye for -- and appreciation of -- good visual design and clean user experiences
- You are inclined to being scrappy and hacky to unlock product growth
- The ability to be autonomous, driven, and self-directed
We’ll be even more impressed if you...
- Possess UX design skills and are comfortable in Sketch, Figma, etc.
- Have additional ”vertical” experience, namely growth-marketing or engineering.
- Have a track record of improving customer acquisition, feature adoption, and product growth
- Know the residential construction space
- Have worked on peer-to-peer communication applications
- Are experienced in working remotely or with distributed teams
Qualities we look for in a PM
- You have a desire to become a domain expert in the residential construction industry
- You’re driven to improve your tactical software management skills, are inspired by new best practices from other industries and companies, and share your acumen with the rest of the team
- You always put the user first, and build a deep well of understanding and compassion for builders, their teams, their subs, and their homeowner clients.
- You are a great partner to your stakeholders in engineering, design, sales, marketing, and leadership, and can communicate effectively across the invisible boundaries of a distributed team.
- You are focused on the goal and prioritize work ruthlessly
- Your written communication is eminently clear, concise, and effective at managing conversations and keeping sprints moving
North American based candidates only - no agencies or dev shops.
Meet your team
BuildBook at a glance
BuildBook focuses on SaaS, Construction, Interior Design & Construction, and Smb Software. Their company has offices in New York City, Seattle, and Atlanta. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees.