Never Pay Too Much For A Mortgage
Lead Product Engineer$90k – $130k • 1.0% – 5.0%
We're hiring an experienced software engineer to own and drive Brick’s technology experience. You’ll help us build products that redefine customers' financial relationships with their homes. As our first engineering hire, this is an enormous opportunity to shape the engineering culture of a new team preparing for significant growth. We are looking for someone who has a strong desire for end-to-end technical ownership, an appreciation for thoughtful user experiences, and an empathetic focus on the people we’ve set out to help. You’re the right fit for this role if you consider yourself an experienced full-stack engineer and someone who enjoys balancing user needs, business needs, and technical trade-offs in a startup environment.
As we grow and our product evolves, we will work toward leveraging large-scale data to power our mortgage shopping, application, and management experience. We're looking for someone who is excited about helping us make automated home financing a reality.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Partner directly with the CEO and Brick's designer to develop product strategy for which you’ll own the technical execution of bringing it to life.
- Start by building the first version of our our mobile experience that will make it easy for Brick, on behalf of its users, to conduct the mortgage shopping and application process to ensure the lowest monthly payment possible.
- Build features to help relieve our customers of the financial management of their home, including
- managing their monthly cash flow and repayment strategies
- take advantage of opportunities to refinance their home quickly
- simply and safely borrow against their home if need be
- Talk to users (current and future homeowners, lenders, etc) alongside Brick’s founders to understand where technology can continue to solve problems for our customers.
You’ll Be Successful With Us If:
- You’ve worked in early-stage startups and know how to operate effectively in ambiguity and fast-paced environments.
- You are a strong full-stack engineer who is extremely comfortable writing front-end and back-end code, as well as building mobile applications.
- You have built sophisticated consumer products. You’ve led the execution of multi-featured products and are comfortable shipping products to production.
- You understand and appreciate consumer-grade user experience. You don’t need to be a designer, but you must believe in the importance of design and be very comfortable participating in the discussion and planning of the user experience with our designer.
- You are an effective collaborator and relationship builder. You’ve worked with cross-disciplinary teams in the past to create and ship products.
We use a simple 'X over Y" prioritization structure to help our team and investors understand our strategy and how we execute
- Simplicity over Complexity: This should be palpable from every part of our product and culture. Customers suffer in unnecessarily complex financial products.
- Experience over Pedigree: Having a strong degree can help, but we prefer experience in building products for customers that solve both difficult emotional and financial challenges.
- Empathy over Theory: Homeownership is a challenge that faces Americans from all backgrounds. Having a team that can empathize with those experiences is paramount for us.
- Diversity over Homogeneity: Diversity, in all senses of the word, is important to our long-term growth and success. We believe that a company's stance on diversity is established in the first few hires and investors, and we're looking to continue our strong stance. 85% of our team and investors are people of color and/or women.
- Business Focus over Technical Opportunities: We focus on building our competitive advantage(s) in business logic and software systems, and aren't afraid to outsource libraries/services that are not about our key differentiators.
- Customizability over Over-abstraction: It’s easy to try and make everything abstracted, but that can make it much harder to customize certain experiences.
We’re Building A Culture Of:
- Seeking and embracing a diversity of thought, perspectives, experiences and skills
- Excellent and proactive communication about work, personal needs, and expectations.
- Learning, curiosity, self-awareness, and personal growth
- Interest in the depth and complexity of human & emotional experience related to home ownership and money
Total Rewards And Benefits:
- Competitive salary and equity in a early stage start-up
- Access to comprehensive health benefits (health, dental, medical)
- Flexibility of remote-first team environment
- Professional development opportunities - to all employees we offer subsidies for classes for personal and professional development
- Opportunity to help build a culture that values self-care, cultural change, and collaboration
Brick at a glance
Brick focuses on Residential Real Estate and Fin Tech. Their company has offices in Austin and Oakland. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees.
You can view their website at https://hellobrick.io