Building the next generation of smart agriculture equipment - optimizing every plant
Sr. Embedded Software Engineer
Blue River Technology serves the agricultural industry by designing and building advanced farm machines that utilize computer vision and machine learning to enable farmers to understand and manage every plant. These machines help farmers to improve profitability, protect the environment by reducing pesticide use, and capture valuable plant-by-plant data. Blue River is a pioneer in the agricultural robotics space and has developed the See & Spray precision sprayer, which applies pesticide only where needed, and can reduce pesticide use 90%.
John Deere & Company, with over 180 years of experience in designing, manufacturing, and distributing innovative products to farmers, acquired Blue River Technology in the fall of 2017 as an independently run subsidiary. In partnership with John Deere, Blue River has expanded rapidly and together both companies see many opportunities to apply advanced computer vision, machine learning, and robotics technologies to other areas in agriculture beyond spraying.
Our office is located in Sunnyvale, CA and is home to 100+ team members with diverse experience including computer vision, machine learning, systems software, autonomous vehicles and precision agriculture. Our working environment is fast paced and highly collaborative, and employees are excited to use their talents to improve food production and protect the environment.
Blue River Technology is seeking a highly skilled Embedded Software Engineer to join our systems team. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to supply domain expertise to the development and production of embedded systems for our computer vision-enabled agricultural products. You will be a catalyst through all phases of development. If you thrive in a fast-paced, innovative team environment and get energized about delivering solutions to technical challenges, this role will be an outstanding next step in your career.
- Drive key research and development efforts in computer vision enabled agriculture products
- Coordinate with other technical teams to gather functional requirements and solve systems problems
- Design embedded systems end-to-end in support of product development from feasibility through to production
- Architect embedded systems and implement design best practices
- Review hardware designs and conduct regular evaluation and tests of system functionality
- Coach and mentor software team members
Required Professional Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred
- 6+ years’ experience designing and developing real-time embedded products
- Strong Linux background in real-time applications to include device driver level experience
- Proficiency hands on coding in C and C++
- Expertise in systems architecture
- Comfortable with test equipment - logic analyzers, digital storage oscilloscope, etc.
- Strong attention to detail with an eye towards test and continuous process improvement
- Desire and drive to collaborate as part of an agile team to deliver imaginative solutions
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Able to function as a mentor and coach across the team
- Experience with cameras, camera sensors, and camera interfaces (e.g. V4L2, libargus and MIPI CSI-2)
- Experience with NVIDIA GPU products and CUDA
- Experience with cross-functional engineering groups
- Experience in development on ARM
Blue River offers competitive compensation and benefits, including a great 401(K) match. We believe in a work life balance and offer generous Paid Time Off and Sick Leave as well as Paid Parental Leave and an adoption benefit. Subsidized lunches, flexible work hours, CalTrain passes (with mobile Wi-Fi!) and a collaborative and supportive environment also contribute to making Blue River a great place to work.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Health, 401K including match, company-paid life and disability insurance.
Blue River Technology at a glance
Blue River Technology focuses on Hardware, Clean Technology, Robotics, Machine Learning, and Industrial Automation. Their company has offices in Sunnyvale. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Blue River Technology has raised $30.1M of funding; their latest round was closed on December 2015.