Cross-border Fintech|Pan-Africa & Europe Hybrid Financial Infrastructure
Head of Strategic Business Development
AZA is an established provider of currency trading solutions which accelerate global access to frontier markets through an innovative infrastructure. By leveraging cutting edge technology in our flagship products, TransferZero and BFX, AZA is able to significantly lower the cost and increase the speed of business payments to and from frontier markets. TransferZero is our B2B2C product, which provides both wholesale currency purchase and retail settlement via our robust API. BFX is our B2B over-the-counter platform for businesses with wholesale currency needs, especially those paying partners and suppliers.
Our partners utilise our hybrid financial infrastructure and deep local knowledge to manage liquidity and send payments to dozens of bank networks and mobile money operators across Africa. Licensed by the UK’s FCA and the Bank of Spain, AZA is a market-maker in every major African currency. Launched in Nairobi, AZA now has offices in Lagos, London, Luxembourg, Madrid, and Dakar.
We are looking for a business development executive to refine and lead the execution of our business growth strategies, focused on growing our market reach. This role focuses on building collaborative, revenue-producing partnerships by managing complex and multi-faceted relationships with major sponsors and partners (Banks, Financial Institutions, FinTech, cards issuers, processors, etc.). The role involves strategic thinking, by identifying successful partnerships or potential acquisitions, combined with the ability to execute and close agreements.
How your skills and passion will come to life at AZA:
• Lead market access to the payments industry ecosystem. Develop go-to-market payer roadmaps and strategic partnership plans with clear milestones.
• Develop and maintain strong, enduring relationships with senior executives across the ecosystem, identifying and communicating clear value co-creation opportunities across the partner network, in order to drive significant business development.
• Provide market feedback to the company leadership regarding competitive offerings, prospect needs and generate product development ideas.
• Identify and qualify companies whose value propositions will be enhanced by working in partnership with AZA
• Develop partner engagement initiatives; forecast for strategic changes; and establish a repeatable process of defining success and growth metrics
• Develop and manage strategic business development plans and key executive relationships, including growth opportunities, action planning, day-to-day relationships and business growth forecasting.
• Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional teams (product, engineering, customer operations, marketing, sales and account management) to develop work plans, lead analyses, and develop and communicate the final recommendations.
• Minimum 10 years of commercial/business development experience with a successful track record in launching and selling disruptive and innovative technologies and programs across the financial ecosystem.
• Proven experience in the Middle East and Africa region
• An overall understanding of payment and FX regulation in a changing environment and an interest in AML/KYC and risk controls.
• Strong, proven relationships with executives across the financial industry value chain and deep understanding of the nuances of selling disruptive services and technology to this market.
• Strong influencing skills and the ability to work at a peer-level with industry executives (especially banks)
• Strategic thinking, and ability to execute, to achieve operational excellence in the face of challenging goals.
• Strong negotiator with proven capacity to close agreements in an optimised sales cycle.
• Excels in a fast-paced, results-driven, highly accountable environment where you can make a clear impact.
• Outstanding track record of driving business growth; proficient and high-achieving in all aspects of sales & business development leadership.
• Flexibility for international travel (around 30-40% of time) in Africa, Middle East and Europe.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• A competitive salary and benefits package.
• Casual work environment.
• Great work -life balance.
• We value autonomy.
• Opportunity for growth for all employees.
• Opportunity to work hard and play hard.
• …… and more!!
AZA is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. AZA does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Aza Finance at a glance
Aza Finance focuses on East Africa, Europe, South Africa, and Nigeria. Their company has offices in London, Nairobi, Lagos, Dakar, and Madrid. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Aza Finance has raised $8.2M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2017.