Beauty made easy
DevOps Engineer$90k – $140k • 0.01% – 0.02%
We started Birchbox in 2010 to redefine the way consumers discover and shop for beauty and grooming. The company quickly grew from an exciting idea to a business that has materially shaped the beauty industry: we've activated an enormous group of underserved, untapped consumers, awakening their relationship with beauty by making the experience relevant, easy and fun. Our innovation isn't the simple concept of delivering a box of samples - it's understanding that although not everyone is passionate about beauty and grooming, everyone still deserves to have a great experience finding, trying and buying it.
Birchbox operates in six countries, reaching more than 2.5 million active customers with a portfolio of 500 best-in-class prestige brand partners. We have retail locations within select Walgreens stores across the US as well as a flagship Birchbox store in Paris.
About the Role:
Birchbox is seeking an ambitious DevOps Engineer with a passion for building infrastructure that is maintainable and scalable, and robust monitoring and developer tooling to support software engineering workflows. As a DevOps engineer, you'll report to our Head of SRE / DevOps while collaborating with backend engineers, frontend engineers, internal users, data scientists and product managers to continuously improve our systems. The role will involve all aspects of DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering at Birchbox.
In addition to maintaining our existing configuration-as-code, you'll play a pivotal role in building new support systems for several greenfield projects planned for 2019, including a major observability initiative, expansion of our Datadog implementation, new deployments of AWS cloud environments, evolution of our Airflow workflow management system, load testing, and more. Major upcoming software initiatives include a revamped subscription service, an asynchronous checkout service, a vastly improved product information service, and a major iteration on our core e-commerce platform.
- Expand and support the Birchbox technical infrastructure.
- Refine our software lifecycle, deployment and management practices.
- Build tools and processes to improve development practices.
- Create and maintain infrastructure and application monitoring dashboards.
- Proudly participate in the Birchbox Engineering on-call rotation.
- 3+ years of professional experience (or equivalent) in a production web shop.
- The ability to build, maintain, and monitor continuous integration and deployment pipelines.
- Deep understanding of AWS services and experience maintaining a cloud deployment.
- Experience with standard web stack technologies (eg., http services, caches, proxies, load balancers).
- Experience with relational and non-relational data storage and access at scale.
- Understanding of networking concepts (TCP/IP, DNS, routing, subnets).
- Experience with configuration management such as Chef, Salt, and Puppet.
- Excellent facility with the UNIX paradigm; we're a Debian Linux shop and we have OS X desktops and laptops.
- Understanding of containerization and experience working with their deployment and maintenance, especially ECS.
- The ability to rapidly troubleshoot production issues with enviable command-line fu.
- You’re committed to enabling DevOps culture with development, deployment, and observability / monitoring tooling.
- You understand and evangelize notions of configuration-as-code (eg., Chef, Salt) and infrastructure-as-code (eg., Terraform).
- You're security-minded, and have strong opinions about how to build a sensible and safe cloud environment.
- You have a thirst for new knowledge and responsibility. You want to own projects in their entirety, and master new problem spaces and technologies.
- You're compelled to excellence, powerless to resist the siren song of a beautiful solution.
- You're pragmatic: sometimes a beautiful solution is impermanent and expedient. You know how to make the call.
- You're joyful and take pride in what you create; we're a talented and diverse crew, lucky enough to be building something people really love.
Everyone gets to own a piece of the company through equity
Health, Dental, and Vision
$200 a year to buy anything you like in our shop, plus a 20% employee discount
Birchbox at a glance
Birchbox focuses on E-Commerce, Retail, and Beauty. Their company has offices in New York City. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Birchbox has raised $86.9M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2016.