Helping millions back to good mental health
Senior Data Engineer
At Big Health, our purpose is to help millions back to good mental health. Our “digital therapeutics” - Daylight™, for worry & anxiety, and Sleepio™, for poor sleep - are fully automated cognitive and behavioral programs that are as scalable and clinically validated as drugs. Our software combines the intimacy of the human voice, engaging animation, and clinically rigorous techniques to help people overcome their mental health challenges. Big Health’s products are backed by 50 published clinical papers including 13 randomised controlled trials (RCTs), and are cited in leading clinical guidelines including the American College of Physicians and NICE. Today, over 12 million people worldwide have reimbursed access to Big Health’s products, via leading employers in the US and the UK’s NHS.
There is a tremendous amount of value for our end-users in our ability to leverage the data we have to refine our digital therapeutics for maximum effectiveness. The more insight we gain, the more we can help millions get back to good mental health. You will assist in gathering the data, processing it and enabling your stakeholders (customer success, clinicians, product managers, etc..) to access it and explore. You will organize the data so that they can best leverage it for their needs. You will collaborate with your peers and stakeholders to build a sustainable platform and find ways to increase our capabilities in the data domain.
As the Sr. Data Engineer you will...
- Build, test, document and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Evolve your data pipeline and its components in pace with the needs of the business
- Design for scalability, observability and ease of maintenance
- Deploy or build analytics tools that utilize data pipelines to deliver actionable insights
- Assemble large, complex data sets to meet both functional and non-functional business demands
- Work with the DEVOPS team to automate the management of the data infrastructure
- Assist engineers with dataset design and datastore selection
- Assist all data consumers in leveraging our data to power their initiatives
- Communicate with stakeholders across the company
In order to be successful in this role, you will need:
- 4+ years of experience in writing Cloud applications that process large volumes of data
- Good knowledge of AWS data processing offering (Kinesis, DynamoDB, S3, Elasticache, Aurora, ElasticSearch) or comparable ( Redis, Kafka, Cassandra, Google DataFlow, etc.)
- Good knowledge of RDBMS (Postgres or similar) on the topics of SQL, Indices, query tuning, debugging.
- Experience with Python in a production environment
- Knowledge of how to design data models
- Understand and applies relevant testing development practices
It would be great if you had...
- Knowledge of distributed computing frameworks (AWS EMS, Spark, DataBricks)
- Experience developing Microservices, Rest APIs, OpenAPI
- Familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience with Agile methodology
- Experience with Terraform
- Experience with continuous integration & delivery toolchains (Codebuild)
Life at Big Health
- Be part of a team that includes clinical psychologists, software engineers, business leaders and even a former professional magician [shh… it’s a secret].
- Surround yourself with the smartest, most enthusiastic and dedicated people you’ll ever meet, but who listen well, learn from their mistakes and when things go wrong, generously pull together to help each other out
- Check out our values - they’re a living, breathing part of our culture
- Enjoy benefits including a generous vacation policy, professional development fund, flexible working locations and more.
- Competitive salary packages including stock options.
Because we are on a mission to bring millions back to good mental health, we believe it’s essential to reflect the diversity of those we intend to serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally and experientially diverse team that leads with empathy and respect.
Additionally, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Big Health participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Big Health does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.
For US employees, full medical and partial vision and dental coverage for employees and partial coverage for dependents. Plus a concierge mental health service
US employees receive a 401(k) plan + company matching. UK employees receive a matching pension scheme
Remote work capabilities and flexible working hours
Paid time off
20 days of vacation, additional sick leave, 8 public holidays, and the week off between Christmas and New Years
Weekly lunches, stocked fridge and kitchen space
Each employee is alloted 5 days and $1,000 for professional development.
Money to spend on yourself or colleagues, weekly team happy hours, regular company off-sites, and quarterly company wide happiness survey
Big Health at a glance
Big Health focuses on Healthcare, Medical, Fitness, Corporate Wellness, and Health and Wellness. Their company has offices in San Francisco and London. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Big Health has raised $15.815M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2016.