No lender fees. No commission. No, really
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for an Underwriting Manager to join the team. This person will work closely with our Head of Underwriting to help manage priorities of the team. They will also evaluate borrower financial and credit information in tandem with property valuations to inform lending decisions, using established underwriting guidelines. Our underwriters will work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing.
Beyond producing high-quality loans and managing priorities, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a team of Underwriters who will underwrite and decision agency conforming and non-conforming residential mortgage loans
- Work with our Head of Underwriting to manage team priorities and achieve team goals
- Develop and improve team productivity and performance
- Foster a positive culture and create positive work experiences
- Collaborate cross functionally with adjacent teams (e.g., Processing, Sales, Collateral, Tech, etc.)
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
- 3-5+ years of recent experience managing a team of mortgage underwriters
- 7-10+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and non-conforming mortgages
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process, underwriting methodology and philosophy
- Critical thinker with strong decision making ability
- Experience thriving in a high volume production environment
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Proven ability to improve production and quality metrics
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management and personnel development experience
We take care of our own. Better.com offers fully funded health, dental, and vision benefits
20 weeks paid parental leave.
Cash and equity. Why not reap what you sow?
Hungry employees aren’t happy employees. That’s why Better.com team members get free lunch, dinner, and snacks. Every. Single. Day.
Happy hours, birthday parties, book clubs, and more. We believe in building a community, not just a company.
From cozy couches to new computers, Better.com provides whatever you need to help us succeed.
Better.com at a glance
Better.com focuses on Real Estate, Financial Services, Finance, Consumer Lending, and Finance Technology. Their company has offices in New York City, Irvine, Oakland, and Charlotte. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Better.com has raised $216M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.