Invent technologies to discover and develop cell-based products
Associate Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
Here at Berkeley Lights, we think cells are awesome! Cells are capable of manufacturing cures for diseases, fibers for clothing, energy in the form of biofuels, and food proteins for nutrition. So the question is, if nature is capable of manufacturing the products we need in a scalable way, why aren’t we doing more of this? Well, the answer is that with the solutions available today, it is hard. Berkeley Lights is here to change all of that! Our extremely sophisticated proprietary technology and Beacon® and LightningTM systems accelerate the rate researchers can discover and develop cell-based products in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost of conventional, legacy research methods. Using our tools and solutions, scientists can find the best cells, the first time they look.
Our goal is to continue to collaborate with customers to drive the adoption of our technologies, making cell-based products and therapeutics more easily accessible the world over! You will play a major role here within the finance team, and our success will depend on you! We have been changing how the world develops cell-based products since 2011, and now our family of over 200 employees welcomes you to consider joining us on this incredible journey.
As an Associate Director, FP&A at Berkeley Lights we are looking for a strong leader and contributor that will be a key team member for our growing finance team. You will need to be a self-motivated, technically proficient person with a strong desire for continuous improvement in your day-to-day work and self. Reporting to the Senior Director, Financial Planning, Analysis and Strategic Planning, you will be a key business partner working with the CFO to prepare budgets, forecasts, financial analysis and reporting, and provide ad hoc analysis for decision making support. In addition, you will be expected to have in-depth knowledge of the Berkeley Lights business in order to provide accurate forecasts and review assumptions of underlying forecasts.
- Prepare ad hoc, weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial analysis to support regular executive staff meetings and key corporate initiatives, projects, and strategies
- Prepare weekly variance analysis of actuals to forecast and budget, explain and investigate any major discrepancies, and understand key business drivers
- Provide counsel on financial matters that focus on expense control and profitability of the business. Suggest trends, resulting implications, key actions, and strategic implications
- Lead and support teams in the annual and quarterly operating budget and forecast processes; actively partner with leadership to manage all facets of their department budgets
- Participate in monthly close process (accruals reviews, variance analysis) and review meetings with business partners
- Identifies and executes on business process improvement opportunities, develops solution options, engages management and stakeholders to align on decisions
- Streamline / automate current work responsibilities allowing more time to build business partner relationships
- Lead and participate on initiatives related to the automation of enterprise wide reporting and analysis
- Drive business partnership and collaboration by acting as a finance business partner and support portfolio analysis by supporting teams in resource, budget, and opportunity analysis to help drive our company’s strategic vision
- Additional projects as assigned
- Support potential deals and partnerships through financial analysis and valuations of deal structures
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance; advanced degree (CPA or MBA) a plus
- 10 years’ experience in financial planning either in accounting or corporate finance; experience as a financial business partner preferred
- Strong written and Powerpoint communications skills to clearly convey monthly reporting to stakeholders
- Advanced Excel skills with the abilities to create and operation complex financial and scenario models
- Strong quantitative, analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to create automated or semi-automated reporting; PowerBI, Tableau, or related experience preferred
- Experience implementing, developing, and/or improving ERP / CRM systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively and communicate with all levels of the company, including C-level executives
- Ability to manage deadlines from multiple project streams
- Experience with enterprise-level accounting and planning software desired; D365 preferred
- Demonstrate an ability to build strong relationships with Finance and non-Finance business partners
- Exhibit influencing capabilities and a willingness to maintain open and transparent communication across the organization
- Strict attention to detail
Generous benefits package
Catered lunch every day!
Breakfast and snack foods
Workout classes with professional trainer
Company social events
Referral bonus program
Berkeley Lights at a glance
Berkeley Lights focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, and Bio-Pharm. Their company has offices in Emeryville. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Berkeley Lights has raised $191.468M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2020.