Invent technologies to discover and develop cell-based products
Here at Berkeley Lights, we think cells are awesome! Cells are capable of manufacturing cures for diseases, fibers for clothing, energy in the form of biofuels, and food proteins for nutrition. So the question is, if nature is capable of manufacturing the products we need in a scalable way, why aren’t we doing more of this? Well, the answer is that with the solutions available today, it is hard. It takes a long time to find the right cell for a specific job, costs lots of money, and if you have picked a suboptimal cell line, has a very low process yield. Berkeley Lights has the complete solution to find the best cells by functionally screening and recovering individual cells for antibody discovery, cell line development, T cell analysis, and synthetic biology. Our proprietary technology and Beacon® and LightningTM systems accelerate the rate researchers can discover and develop cell-based products in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost of conventional, legacy research methods. Using our tools and solutions, scientists can find the best cells, the first time they look.
Our goal is to continue to collaborate with customers to drive the adoption of our technologies, making cell-based products and therapeutics more easily accessible the world over! You will play a major role here and our success depends on you! We have been changing how the world develops cell-based products since 2011, and now our family of around 200 employees welcomes you to consider joining us on this incredible journey.
We are looking for an experienced Bioinformatician to join our public, commercial life sciences company. You’ll work with a diverse team of engineers and scientists to develop novel applications for our Beacon Platform, designed to automate complex biological workflows in BioPharma, including cell line development, antibody discovery, antibody engineering and gene editing and make immuno-oncology discoveries using our Beacon platform.
- Ph.D in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field with at least 2 years of relevant postdoc or industry experience, M.S. with 4 years or B.S. with 5 years.
- Broad knowledge of NGS analysis tools and methods; enough experience to quickly and judiciously evaluate new methods and tools.
- Extensive experience with a develop commercial level pipeline, their underlying statistics and algorithms, and troubleshooting problems.
- Software experience: should be comfortable in a Linux shell and with command line tools, and have good software development habits (source control, testing, code reviews).
- Experience with running pipelines in the cloud or on local hardware; experience in setting up infrastructure with minimal external assistance.
- Ability to build test programs
- Strong programing skills C++, and/or Python
- Experience of working with lab scientists
- Understanding of cancer biology or immunology
- Experience with tertiary analysis methods (pathway analysis, biomarker discovery, etc)
- Experience with variant-calling or gene editing pipelines
- Experience with single-cell NGS would be preferred but not required
Generous benefits package
Catered lunch every day!
Breakfast and snack foods
Workout classes with professional trainer
Company social events
Referral bonus program
Berkeley Lights at a glance
Berkeley Lights focuses on Biotechnology, Healthcare, and Bio-Pharm. Their company has offices in Emeryville. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Berkeley Lights has raised $191.468M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2020.