Informatics platform to accelerate, measure, and forecast R&D from discovery through bioprocessing
Team Lead, Professional Services
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is seeking an experienced Professional Services team lead with a background in Life Sciences and Enterprise SaaS to lead a team of 4-8 Implementation Managers and Associates. Team leads in PS are first line managers who have responsibility for implementing a portfolio of customers from small biotech startups, to the biggest BioPharmas in the world.
In this role you will be a player-coach, both leading implementations yourself, as well as providing guidance for your team. You must be a hands on leader who enjoys working directly with customers and with others throughout Benchling to drive successful implementations. You will become a solution expert, and leverage your experience to guide our implementations, as well as to coach other newer members of the team.
To be successful in this role, you must have prior management experience, be comfortable with Life Sciences R&D processes and scientific concepts, and be able to develop deep relationships with Scientific and IT leaders at Pharma and Biotech organizations. You must have experience with enterprise SaaS software implementation, and be an expert at working with and guiding teammates to deliver transformational solutions.
- Directly own the success of a portfolio of customer implementation projects. Direct the activities of 4-8 PS team members through ongoing oversight of active implementations, ensuring project teams deliver on time, within budgets, with high quality outcomes.
- Ensure your team follows best practice implementation processes, and identify opportunities to improve our rollout methodologies and tools.
- Develop relationships at all levels in our customer’s organizations including with executive sponsors, key business and IT stakeholders, and project team leads.
- Act as the first escalation point for project issues, work with other teams throughout Benchling to develop solutions to problems, drive customer alignment, and be accountable for project success.
- Manage team metrics including utilization, budget vs actual hours and project margins.
- 5+ years client facing software implementation and/or consulting experience, with demonstrated success managing enterprise scale SaaS projects.
- Prior management experience, managing teams of at least 5 people. Must have demonstrated success managing and leading a high-functioning Professional Services team.
- Proven experience working with Life Sciences companies with an understanding of R&D processes and scientific concepts.
- BS or M.Sc. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar life science field.
- At least 2 years of experience in a lab or research setting. You must be able to empathize with scientists and quickly understand complicated scientific concepts.
- Independent, adaptable, and can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal, written and presentation formats.
- Ability to travel up to 25% based on customer and project needs.
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.