Informatics platform to accelerate, measure, and forecast R&D from discovery through bioprocessing
Head of Engineering, Data Products
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
As Head of Engineering, Data Products, your role will be to build all of Benchling’s data-related development functions. Benchling is developing a suite of data-oriented products for the life sciences including a data warehouse, native analytics, a SQL editor, and eventually insights & machine learning. Benchling’s platform is the system of record for 250+ enterprises, 1000+ institutions, and 100,000+ scientists and our data products will help drive smarter decision making and insights for our customers.
In addition to Benchling’s external data products, this role encompasses setting up internal teams & systems for business intelligence and product analytics. These teams will manage all the internal data pipelines, infrastructure, warehouse, and tool chain supporting the company on a daily basis.
In this role, you will inherit 2 data products: our data warehouse serving 100+ enterprise customers, our native analytics product which is in early stage development, and our internal data warehouse and ETL pipelines. The right leader is comfortable with operating a wide variety of projects across different skill sets including data analysts, data engineers, full stack software engineers, and data infrastructure engineers.
The ideal candidate has the dynamic range to come in close to ground-level and grow the team quickly to 10 through direct management, and ultimately establish a 2nd line of management to scale the team to 20+ in 2 years. The right leader has a deep product engineering in big data & analytics, coupled with an understanding of running internally facing service teams. Managing data analysts is a plus.
Data is transforming life scientists R&D and the Head of Data & Analytics Engineering will be instrumental in Benchling continuing to lead the way.
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision
Paid parental leave
Flexible pto and company-wide winter holiday shutdown
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Monthly gym and wellness stipend
Yearly company-wide retreat
Weekly happy hours and regular company events
Benchling at a glance
Benchling focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Enterprise Software, Healthcare, and Synthetic Biology. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Boston. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Benchling has raised $111.9M of funding; their latest round was closed on May 2020.