Informatics platform to accelerate, measure, and forecast R&D from discovery through bioprocessing.
Head of Engagement Management, Professional Services
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
- Build and lead a team of Engagement Managers who own implementations for our largest and most strategic customers
- Direct the activities of the EM team through ongoing involvement with their implementations, ensuring project teams deliver on time, within budgets, and with high quality outcomes
- Ensure we follow best practice implementation processes, and identify opportunities to improve our enterprise rollout methodologies and tools
- Develop relationships in our customer’s organizations including with executive sponsors, key business and IT stakeholders, and project leads
- Establish program governance structures that enable EMs to build alignment on project statuses, execute against project milestones, and deliver customer value
- Act as the escalation point for project issues, work with the team to develop solutions to problems, drive customer alignment, and be accountable for project success
- Work with EMs and Sales to develop new business opportunities identified during project execution, create proposals, and represent Professional Services in pre-sales activities
- Create estimates for Professional Service projects from extensions with existing customers, to proposals for new deals, lead the the development of Change Orders and Statements of Work (SOWs)
- Actively manage financials including team utilization, budget vs actual hours and project margins
- Proven experience working with Life Sciences companies with an understanding of R&D processes and scientific concepts. Must be able to confidently interface and build trust with Director, VP and C-Level Scientific & Research IT leaders in top-20 Biotech and Pharma companies from day 1 on the job.
- 10+ years client facing implementation and/or consulting experience, with demonstrated success managing enterprise scale projects
- BS or M.Sc. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar life science field, or equivalent professional experience working with Life Sciences R&D processes and/or technology
- Experience in a leadership role and managing people, with proven ability to recruit, hire, and lead a high-functioning Professional Services team
- Deep expertise in project and program management for multi-workstream enterprise software deployments including team dynamics, scope & budget control, program governance, executive reporting, and project financials
- Experience leading services sales activities, including proposal generation, SOW creation, selling PS, Change Orders, and client negotiations
- Independent, adaptable, and can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- Excellent communication skills in verbal, written and presentation formats
- Ability to travel 30-50% based on customer and project need
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.