Build innovative businesses from the ground up
Senior Full-Stack Engineer - Koru, Toronto Incubator
Introducing our Venture Teams:
Our venture teams consist of world-class entrepreneurs & experts, from disciplines spanning business, design, engineering, product, and growth. Joining our remarkable multidisciplinary team will challenge you to push the boundaries of the industry, without the distractions of raising capital. If you have the passion, tenacity, and curiosity to build innovative businesses from the ground up, we invite you to join our mission.
Koru is seeking exceptional Sr. Full-Stack Engineers who are excited to get their hands dirty and contribute to both the technical strategy & product build of our new ventures.
As a Full-Stack Engineer at Koru, you will turn great ideas into code and turn that code into groundbreaking and beautiful new applications while working across a diverse set of problems with a highly talented multidisciplinary team.
- Build disruptive technical solutions from ideation to MVP and into commercialization e.g. Mobile and Web Apps, SaaS, Big Data, AI or ML powered platforms.
- Be a polyglot! Work across languages, technologies, and platforms.
- Be scrappy! Experiment, fail fast, and share your technical solutions and product ideas with your Venture Team.
- Contribute to a future-ready, high quality, and performance code base
- Perpetuate a venture team culture that emphasizes best-in-class software qualities including testability, security, scalability, operability, etc.
- Enjoy working in a diverse, dynamic, collaborative, transparent, environment where everyone's ideas and opinions are equally valued.
You will bring:
- An entrepreneurial mindset with at least 5 to 8 years hands-on paid professional experience developing Mobile and Web Apps, SaaS, big data and/or AI and ML powered platforms.
- A track record of building successful digital products from scratch in a startup environment. Early stage startup experience is a plus!
- Hands-on development and delivery experience with a broad mix of languages and frameworks:
- Frameworks: e.g. Express, Django, Angular, Flask, Spring.
- Native or hybrid mobile development (e.g. iOS, Android, ionic).
- Experience with architectural design; including building service-based architectures and/or micro-services.
- Performance optimization techniques
- Designing data persistence and caching concepts using both SQL and NoSQL DBMS, e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis
- Enough DevOps / Infrastructure experience to setup, configure and maintain your own dev/build environment, e.g. Docker on AWS etc.
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering best practices (e.g. agile software development, test-driven development, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, etc.)
- An ability to embrace and reduce uncertainty through continual validated learning.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or equivalent practical professional experience.
An innovation platform founded by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (“OTPP”) to build a portfolio of new businesses that drive breakout growth.
Koru is a true venture foundry designed to unlock unique assets from within OTPP’s 90+ portfolio companies around the world. We generate, validate, and incubate businesses, products and ventures that address customer frictions and take advantage of opportunities across industries.
We expect Koru to create game changing ventures while promoting a truly entrepreneurial mindset and creating a culture of fearless reinvention. Koru will leverage its ‘unfair’ competitive advantage to create new sources of value for Ontario Teachers’ and the companies it works with.
OTPP is one of the world’s leading private equity and infrastructure investors with $190+ billion in net assets as of December 31, 2018. It pays pensions and invests on behalf of 327,000 working and retired teachers. Since its establishment as an independent organization in 1990, Ontario Teachers’ has built an international reputation for innovation and leadership in investment management and member services. It employs roughly 1,200 employees at its head office in Toronto, Canada and investment offices in London and Hong Kong.
BCG Digital Ventures at a glance
BCG Digital Ventures focuses on Collaboration, Product Design, Venture Capital, Technology, and Innovation Engineering. Their company has offices in New York City, New York, London, Berlin, and Sydney. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees.